Medical examiner: Evidence in Michele MacNeill's death insufficient for 'homicide' finding
Earlier Thursday, Somers took the stand for the second time in her father’s trial, parrying with Spencer over inconsistencies in statements she’s made over years of emails with family and police, in media interviews and earlier court testimony.
Spencer’s questioning seemed designed to convince jurors that the trial has been fueled by Somers’ vigorous pursuit of an investigation into her mother’s 2007 death and anger over her father’s affair with a nursing student.
Somers, herself a doctor, spent more than five hours on the stand over two days, talking about her care of her mother after the surgery, stating how few painkillers her mother had taken and said her mother was "upbeat and happy" just hours before she died.
Under cross-examination, the defense has queried Somers about the 18-page summary of allegations she initially drafted and gave to police, her editing of police investigative summaries over the years, and a copy of the medication record she’d kept on her mother, which surfaced for the first time in 2011. The record, Spencer noted, was discovered at the same time Somers was suing her father in civil court over her mother’s estate and possession of the family home.
Somers held her own throughout, reviewing thousands of pages of court and investigative reports but noting at times that she “may have misspoke or mis-wrote” some things at different times over the past seven years.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging at...
- Utah among states with greatest urban sprawl
- Vegas’ water drying up
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer restaurant in...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 58
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 44
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 26
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- U. student government passes resolution... 23
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17