Utah Utes football notebook: Sophomore Tom Hackett leads Pac-12 in punting
Wilson will continue getting treatment throughout the week in hopes of being 100 percent before next week’s game against 25th-ranked Arizona State.
“I’m really encouraged,” Wilson said. “I think our trainers have done a great job of taking care of me. I’ve just got to make sure it stays healthy.”
Whittingham acknowledged that Wilson is throwing the ball a lot better this week and is hopeful by Monday that the injuries to his hand will “be a complete non-factor.”
NO SURRENDER: Defensive end/linebacker Trevor Reilly dismissed any notion that the Utes are just counting on getting season-ending wins over Washington State and Colorado to become bowl eligible, even though nationally ranked Arizona State and Oregon are up next on the schedule.
They want to prevail in all of them.
“That’s part of being a competitor. You want to win every game,” Reilly said. “In the words of (Herm Edwards): ‘You play to win the game.’ So we look at it as every game is the end of our season, basically.”
EXTRA POINTS: Whittingham said the Utes got some good work in Wednesday and got started on the Arizona State game plan. ... Reilly and wide receiver Dres Anderson are both tied for second in the nation in a statistical category — Reilly in fumble recoveries with three and Anderson in receptions of 50 yards or longer with five. ... No word on the status of tight end Westlee Tonga, who has missed four straight games with an undisclosed injury. “We’re still waiting,” Whittingham said. “We’ll see where he is on Monday."
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- Preseason viewer's guide: Locals make final...
- College football predictions: How will... 139
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 52
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 43
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42