Utah Utes football notebook: Sophomore Tom Hackett leads Pac-12 in punting
Wilson will continue getting treatment throughout the week in hopes of being 100 percent before next week’s game against 25th-ranked Arizona State.
“I’m really encouraged,” Wilson said. “I think our trainers have done a great job of taking care of me. I’ve just got to make sure it stays healthy.”
Whittingham acknowledged that Wilson is throwing the ball a lot better this week and is hopeful by Monday that the injuries to his hand will “be a complete non-factor.”
NO SURRENDER: Defensive end/linebacker Trevor Reilly dismissed any notion that the Utes are just counting on getting season-ending wins over Washington State and Colorado to become bowl eligible, even though nationally ranked Arizona State and Oregon are up next on the schedule.
They want to prevail in all of them.
“That’s part of being a competitor. You want to win every game,” Reilly said. “In the words of (Herm Edwards): ‘You play to win the game.’ So we look at it as every game is the end of our season, basically.”
EXTRA POINTS: Whittingham said the Utes got some good work in Wednesday and got started on the Arizona State game plan. ... Reilly and wide receiver Dres Anderson are both tied for second in the nation in a statistical category — Reilly in fumble recoveries with three and Anderson in receptions of 50 yards or longer with five. ... No word on the status of tight end Westlee Tonga, who has missed four straight games with an undisclosed injury. “We’re still waiting,” Whittingham said. “We’ll see where he is on Monday."
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18