In his monster game at Utah State, Uani forced a fumble, recovered a fumble and had that career-high 16 tackles. It was one short of a single-game record set by his coach, Kelly Poppinga.
Broken hand? Taken to the hospital after the Virginia game for chest pains? Leading the team in tackles almost every game?
This Unga is a Superman.
The Oregon State transfer is a gift to BYU, an Unga that’s worth his weight in gold for Mendenhall.
“He’s big and physical and consistent. He’s playing as good at inside 'backer right now as I’ve seen or coached since I’ve been here,” said Mendenhall.
If he can stay standing up, this is a kid that could get 50 more tackles.
That would blow up BYU’s record book.
“I know these boys make their grandparents proud, getting an education and playing football,” said Fine Unga.
There’s a lot of folks out there who are mutually grateful for their Unga DNA.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 105
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19