, Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
What did Gumby, a tornado, a robot and Pippi Longstocking all have in common on Tuesday night? They were master musicians — plucking, bowing, striking and piping at Abravanel Hall, where the Utah Symphony donned costumes and played Halloween-themed music to a sold-out audience.
Under the baton of Vladimir Kulenovic, tunes from the eerie to the inspiring floated among a mostly costumed audience of goblins and ghouls. This year’s theme, “Superheros,” gave way to a host of John Williams' movie score hits from “Star Wars” to “Superman” to “Hook.” Also interspersed was Stravinky’s “Danse Sacrale,” Wagner’s “The Ride of the Valkyries” and Strauss’ “Also sprach Zarathustra, op. 30.”
In between numbers, guest actor Casey Elliot played an amnesiac superhero trying to place his own identity with the help of the conductor, musicians and audience.
The Halloween concert attracts hundreds of less-familiar faces to the Utah Symphony each year. The costume contest before the program is the largest in Utah. Finalists were asked onto the stage to be voted upon with applause, the winners being a family of “Lost in Space” characters, Miss Piggy and an adorable pint-sized jellyfish.
Even while negotiating the music in costume, the sparkling orchestra, with its unwavering precision and captivating soul, is certain to have left a good impression on its audience.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- You think your student is well off? The...
- The Clean Cut: Alex Boye releases 'Danny Boy'...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- Two powerful forces make American... 27
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 21
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s... 21
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 20
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 17
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- You think your student is well off? The... 8
- Sex education should start sooner,... 6