Italian magazine reports U.S. tapped Vatican, pope phone calls
Gregorio Borgia, AP
An Italian magazine reports that U.S. spies listened in on phone calls at the Vatican, but a spokesman for the Holy See said church officials were unaware and have no concerns.
"Panorama magazine said that among 46 million phone calls followed by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) in Italy from Dec. 10, 2012, to Jan. 8, 2013, were conversations in and out of the Vatican," Reuters reported Wednesday.
"Panorama also says there are suspicions that the conversations of the Pope were even monitored before he was elected," the National Catholic Register reported. "The magazine refers to the Wikileaks files which, it says, revealed that Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio had been under surveillance since 2005."
Reuters noted that the magazine cited no source for its information.
According to the NCR, the incoming and outgoing calls from the Vatican were classified into four categories: "leadership intentions," "threats to the financial system," "foreign policy objectives” and "human rights."
But the director of the Vatican press office has told reporters that it has no worries, Catholic Culture reported.
"We don’t know anything about this, and in any case we don’t have any concerns about it," said Father Federico Lombardi, in a statement quoted by the Huffington Post.
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- LDS Church to send email newsletters to...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- The Clean Cut: David Archuleta sings 'If the...
- Richard Paul Evans: 8-year-old boy with bone...
- BYUtv to air feature on Handel’s...
- New friends plan to work together to... 62
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 22
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 14
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 10
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle... 9
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an... 8
- Evangelicals with gay children... 6
- 7 bizarre ways religious leaders have... 5