Westminster volleyball: Griffins host UGF and Northern in final two home matches
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team is at home for the final two times this week. Westminster welcomes Great Falls (Mont.) into the Behnken Field House for a 7 p.m. MDT match on Thursday. The Griffins then host 24th-ranked Montana State-Northern on Saturday at 2 p.m. MDT for Senior Day.
Both matches will be carried live on Griffins TV and on Comcast 6 in northern Utah. Lance Barton will handle the play-by-play duties with former Griffin Brittani Barton as the analyst. Links for the live features can be found in the calendar section of Westminster's athletic website.
Westminster completes its home schedule with a 13-12 overall mark and in fourth place in the Frontier Conference race with a 7-5 record. The Griffins have won two straight and five of their last seven. They are 7-3 at home this season and 4-1 at home in Frontier Conference matches.
The Griffins average 12.41 kills per set, while hitting .188 for the season. Over the past nine matches they are hitting .217, while averaging 14.06 kills per set. Westminster currently sits second in the Frontier in kills per set and assists per set with an average of 11.34. Westminster is also fifth in the Frontier with 121 service aces and fourth by averaging 1.23 aces per set.
Westminster is holding the opposition to .166 hitting efficiency and 11.4 kills per set. The Griffins have posted more kills than the opposition in 16 matches with a 12-4 record. The Griffins rank 47th in the NAIA by posting 2.02 blocks per set, and they also collect 16.06 digs per set.
Westminster is 15-10 all-time against Great Falls after taking a 3-1 win on the road last month. The Griffins have gone 8-3 in home matches against the Argonauts. They have won five of the past six meetings in Salt Lake City.
The Griffins hold a 17-4 edge in the all-time series with MSU-Northern. The Sky Lights have won two straight in the series, including a 3-0 sweep in Havre, Mont., last month. The Griffins are 9-1 in Salt Lake City in the series, and they have won nine straight home meetings.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25