LAYTON — Before the end of the year, the city will provide public filtered UTOPIA Wi-Fi access, dubbed “Layton Lightspeed,” to certain areas within the Layton Commons Park, Ellison Park and several other parks.
During the last year and a half, with the help of a $16 million federal grant, UTOPIA deployed fiber communications to anchor institutions within the city, such as educational, government and health care facilities, including city facilities and parks.
The city will offer Wi-Fi service to the public while efforts continue to provide UTOPIA fiber optic service to homes and businesses within Layton. Layton City Manager Alex Jensen said the service will give the public a taste of the speed of UTOPIA and will be free.
Coverage at Layton Commons Park will include the phase 1 bowery and baseball bleachers on the north end; the Surf ‘N Swim and small pool areas; the parking lots in front of City Hall and the Davis Arts Council, the Phase 2 bowery; the Ed Kenley Amphitheater, and the playground area south of the museum.
Councilman Michael Bouwhuis said it is a great plan that will provide a service to two critical city partners — the Davis Arts Council and the Heritage Museum.
Coverage at Ellison Park will include the main bowery and playground area, concessions building, baseball bleachers and splash pad. Other Layton parks to receive service include Andy Adams, Chapel Street, Chelsea Meadows, Oak Forest, Sandridge, Vae View and Woodward.
UTOPIA is a fiber-optic network supported by its member communities.
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 104
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 73
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 60
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24