In an interview with CBS, actor/singer Mandy Patinkin, who played Inigo Montoya in “The Princess Bride,” talked about his favorite quotes from the movie.
“Well, there are two lines from ‘The Princess Bride’ that I love,” Patinkin said in the interview. “The one that everyone is very familiar with is, ‘Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.’ That’s the popular one.”
But Patinkin continued by saying that about five years ago, he heard a different line from the film that touched him. One night his wife was watching "The Princess Bride" and, as he walked in, he caught the end of the movie.
“The 55-, 58-year-old Mandy (was) watching the 30-some-year-old Mandy say a line that I said, 'It’s in the movie, but I didn’t really hear it as that young man,' ” Patinkin said. “And for me, it’s the most potent line in the whole film.”
“That line is, ‘I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it's over, I do not know what to do with the rest of my life.’ And I love that line, and I love it for all of us because the purpose of revenge, in my personal opinion, is completely worthless and pointless. And the purpose of existence is to embrace our fellow human being(s). Not be revengeful, and turn our darkness into light.”
Currently, the Tony Award-winner is on tour for his concert called “An Evening with Mandy Patinkin & Nathan Gunn.”
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- The Clean Cut: Jimmy Fallon interviews crying...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood at...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 50
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 13
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: We pay a price... 5
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 5
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- Doug's Take: Disney makes 'Cinderella'... 3
- The Clean Cut: Video brings... 2
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video... 2