In an interview with CBS, actor/singer Mandy Patinkin, who played Inigo Montoya in “The Princess Bride,” talked about his favorite quotes from the movie.
“Well, there are two lines from ‘The Princess Bride’ that I love,” Patinkin said in the interview. “The one that everyone is very familiar with is, ‘Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.’ That’s the popular one.”
But Patinkin continued by saying that about five years ago, he heard a different line from the film that touched him. One night his wife was watching "The Princess Bride" and, as he walked in, he caught the end of the movie.
“The 55-, 58-year-old Mandy (was) watching the 30-some-year-old Mandy say a line that I said, 'It’s in the movie, but I didn’t really hear it as that young man,' ” Patinkin said. “And for me, it’s the most potent line in the whole film.”
“That line is, ‘I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it's over, I do not know what to do with the rest of my life.’ And I love that line, and I love it for all of us because the purpose of revenge, in my personal opinion, is completely worthless and pointless. And the purpose of existence is to embrace our fellow human being(s). Not be revengeful, and turn our darkness into light.”
Currently, the Tony Award-winner is on tour for his concert called “An Evening with Mandy Patinkin & Nathan Gunn.”
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 21
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 1