In an interview with CBS, actor/singer Mandy Patinkin, who played Inigo Montoya in “The Princess Bride,” talked about his favorite quotes from the movie.
“Well, there are two lines from ‘The Princess Bride’ that I love,” Patinkin said in the interview. “The one that everyone is very familiar with is, ‘Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.’ That’s the popular one.”
But Patinkin continued by saying that about five years ago, he heard a different line from the film that touched him. One night his wife was watching "The Princess Bride" and, as he walked in, he caught the end of the movie.
“The 55-, 58-year-old Mandy (was) watching the 30-some-year-old Mandy say a line that I said, 'It’s in the movie, but I didn’t really hear it as that young man,' ” Patinkin said. “And for me, it’s the most potent line in the whole film.”
“That line is, ‘I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it's over, I do not know what to do with the rest of my life.’ And I love that line, and I love it for all of us because the purpose of revenge, in my personal opinion, is completely worthless and pointless. And the purpose of existence is to embrace our fellow human being(s). Not be revengeful, and turn our darkness into light.”
Currently, the Tony Award-winner is on tour for his concert called “An Evening with Mandy Patinkin & Nathan Gunn.”
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- The dark side of how society treats boys
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Southern California conference... 16
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- Faith and family are driving forces for... 9
- The dark side of how society treats boys 9
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and... 3
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2