Homeowner knocks out intruder in West Valley City while 8-year-old calls police
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A homeowner knocked an intruder out cold Wednesday morning, causing two other armed men to run off.
Police continued to search for the two other invaders while the third man remained unconscious and in critical condition at a local hospital, said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer.
The incident began about 5 a.m. at a home at 7133 Chula Drive (3705 South). Hauer said all three men were armed. He did not know if the three forced their way inside or found an open door.
Four adults and five children — all 8 years old and younger — from two families were inside. Hauer did not know if the occupants were asleep or awake when the gunmen entered.
At some point during the confrontation, one of the intruders was knocked out by the homeowner. It was not immediately known if the homeowner used his fist or a blunt object, but Hauer said the gunman was unconscious and bleeding from the mouth when officers arrived.
One woman jumped from a second story window during the home invasion, hurting her ankle. An 8-year-old child called 911 during the incident. Hauer did not know if any words were exchanged between the suspects and victims. There was no evidence Wednesday to indicate whether the home invasion was random or if that house was specifically targeted.
After one gunman was knocked out, the other two ran off, the sergeant said. The men were wearing gloves, masks and dark clothing. The identity of the unconscious suspect was still unknown by midday Wednesday.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Salem man found guilty in 2013 shooting death...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22