Utah Jazz: Artwork in progress for a Jazz team expected to pile up losses
Miller said he’d love to go 82-0. Losing streaks, he admitted, are “probably the most-anxiety-inducing thing that I experience.” In other words, he has high expectations.
“The ultimate sign that it’s all OK is when we make it to the finals and win a championship,” he said. “I just want to be the best that we can be.”
Bonuses for everyone in the organization if all of that happens this season.
Miller didn’t actually offer that, but fans can be comforted that he wants to win as badly as they do.
“With the young players that we have and the relative inexperience compared to some of the teams that have been together a little longer,” he said, “the chances are that we will have some challenging periods this season.”
Miller hopes the youthful cornerstone pieces will build more character from those challenges.
“We’re all going to make mistakes,” he said. “It’s how we respond to those mistakes, the lessons we learn from those mistakes, and our ability to execute what we learned going forward that really matters.”
That’s why he’ll be judging this season on more than just the final win-loss total.
“If the young guys can do that (learn and grow), then I’m OK going through the pain,” he said. “As long as we get better and make new mistakes the next time around and then learn from those and continue to move onward and upward and just get better as we go.”
As for the Jazz players, they’ve optimistically talked about pushing fast-forward on the rebuilding process.
“If you’re a competitor and you constantly hear how people are putting you down that puts a fire in you,” Lucas said. “It makes you want to go out there and compete to prove everybody wrong. You always want to shut critics up.”
Now, before you leave the kitchen, just imagine the euphoria in Jazzland if those silenced critics even come to appreciate the artwork on the fridge.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28