3 investigations launched into bus crash that killed Bountiful man
A representative from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration was at Le Bus Wednesday to begin conducting its investigation, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.
The state Motor Carrier Division conducted "compliance reviews" of Le Bus in 2006 and from 2008-2011, said UDOT spokesman John Gleason. Each time, the company received a ranking of "satisfactory," which is the top ranking. Gleason said while there may have been "minor violations from time to time," Le Bus had "pretty much a clean record."
The seven elements of those inspections include checks on driver fitness, unsafe driving records, hours of service, number of crashes, hazardous materials incidents, incidents involving drugs and alcohol and vehicle maintenance, Gleason said.
The inspections are conducted every couple of years. Because Le Bus had so many consecutive years with no problems, Gleason believes that's why the company hasn't had one since 2011.
In addition to the periodic inspections of the company, all courier vehicles also receive random inspections by the UHP or UDOT at ports of entry.
The state Motor Carrier Division receives monthly reports from those inspections that include red flags raised about certain companies, Gleason said. UDOT may conduct additional inspections of a company based on those reports.
Only one complaint has been filed with the Better Business Bureau against Le Bus in the past three years, according to the bureau's website.
The complaint alleges that a Le Bus driver left a group stranded in Wendover in March after giving "erratic directions about what time to meet up." In its response, the company apologized for the passengers' inconvenience while noting about 500 riders that day made it back to Salt Lake City without any problems.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6