3 investigations launched into bus crash that killed Bountiful man
A representative from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration was at Le Bus Wednesday to begin conducting its investigation, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.
The state Motor Carrier Division conducted "compliance reviews" of Le Bus in 2006 and from 2008-2011, said UDOT spokesman John Gleason. Each time, the company received a ranking of "satisfactory," which is the top ranking. Gleason said while there may have been "minor violations from time to time," Le Bus had "pretty much a clean record."
The seven elements of those inspections include checks on driver fitness, unsafe driving records, hours of service, number of crashes, hazardous materials incidents, incidents involving drugs and alcohol and vehicle maintenance, Gleason said.
The inspections are conducted every couple of years. Because Le Bus had so many consecutive years with no problems, Gleason believes that's why the company hasn't had one since 2011.
In addition to the periodic inspections of the company, all courier vehicles also receive random inspections by the UHP or UDOT at ports of entry.
The state Motor Carrier Division receives monthly reports from those inspections that include red flags raised about certain companies, Gleason said. UDOT may conduct additional inspections of a company based on those reports.
Only one complaint has been filed with the Better Business Bureau against Le Bus in the past three years, according to the bureau's website.
The complaint alleges that a Le Bus driver left a group stranded in Wendover in March after giving "erratic directions about what time to meet up." In its response, the company apologized for the passengers' inconvenience while noting about 500 riders that day made it back to Salt Lake City without any problems.
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may have just...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Key witness in criminal cases against...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may... 52
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17