Utah State football: Aggies have a mediocre record but rank in the top 40 nationally in 26 statistical categories
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Once Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion arrived in the palace of Emerald City, the Wizard of Oz was learned to be deceiving.
“You humbug!” an angry Scarecrow said.
“I am a humbug,” the Wizard acknowledged.
“You are a very bad man,” Dorothy suggested.
“No, my dear. I am a very good man,” the Wizard replied. “Just a very bad wizard.”
Criticisms were levied against the Wizard after it was learned that he had used various mechanisms to project himself as much more majestic and honorific than he actually was. In reality, he was a wizened man without much behind his appearance.
The Utah State football team is similar. They rank in the top 40 in the Football Bowl Subdivision in 26 of the 44 statistical categories on NCAA.com, through games of Oct. 26.
That looks great. Ultimately, however, the Aggies are just 4-4, evening the ledger with a win Oct. 19 against New Mexico. Previously, they lost to BYU and Boise State after the loss of Heisman Trophy candidate Chuckie Keeton and three other offensive starters. (The USU defense has not lost any personnel for the season.)
In nine categories (seven offensively), the Aggies still find themselves fourth or lower in Mountain West Conference.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and https the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 55
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 35
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 25
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 25
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23