Westminster basketball: Griffin men host Westminster Tipoff Classic on Friday and Saturday
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s basketball team will serve as the host of the Westminster Tipoff Classic this Friday and Saturday in the Behnken Field House. After Montana Western and Western State (Colo.) open the event on Friday at 5 p.m. MDT, Westminster (2-0) faces Azusa Pacific (Calif.) at 7 p.m. MDT. Saturday’s action sees Montana Western (3-1) play Azusa Pacific at 5 p.m. MDT, and the Griffins face Western State at 7 p.m. MDT.
All four games will be streamed live on Griffins TV and have live stats available. The two Westminster games will also be carried on Comcast 6 in northern Utah with Mike Lageschulte providing the play-by-play and Lance Barton as an analyst.
Westminster enters the weekend at home with a 2-0 record after claiming wins at the Calgary Cup earlier this month. The Griffins defeated Mount Royal (Alb.), 76-63, in the season opener and then took a 74-73 win against Alberta the next night. They dropped a 79-66 decision to Calgary (Alb.) in an exhibition game to complete the trip to Canada.
For the season, the Griffins are shooting 45.9 percent from the field and averaging 75 points per game. They have connected on 9-of-29 (31.0 percent) from beyond the arc, while making 60.4 percent from the foul line. Westminster has notched 20 assists with 28 turnovers and has been out-rebounded, 54-41, during the first two games.
On the defensive end, Westminster is giving up 68 points per game and limiting the opposition to 42.3 percent shooting. In two games, Griffin opponents are making 35.7 percent from beyond the arc and 65.3 percent at the foul line. Westminster has forced 47 turnovers, and Westminster also has 27 steals and six blocked shots.
Seniors Tallon Robertson and Blake Skidmore are the top two scorers on the team as they are averaging 42.5 points per game between them. Robertson had back-to-back 20-point games in Canada and also leads the team with 14 rebounds. Skidmore went for 19 and 23 in the two games and is second with 11 boards. Jordan Pryor is averaging nine points per game off the bench.
Griffin men host Westminster Tipoff Classic
The Westminster Griffins play two games in the Behnken Field House this Friday and Saturday at the Westminster Tipoff Classic.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 48
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 39
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 25
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13