Two adults and one juvenile charged in Kearns drive-by shooting
KEARNS — Two adults and one juvenile each have been charged with six counts of attempted homicide in connection with a drive-by shooting last week.
Michael Bonilla, 17, Guillermo Bonilla, 20 and Alberto Chavez, 19, each were charged Monday with six counts of attempted murder with gang enhancements, all first-degree felonies; four counts of felony discharge of a firearm, all second-degree felonies; and obstructing justice, a second-degree felony.
The group is accused of firing multiple rounds from a shotgun at another man who was playing football in his yard with another adult and three juveniles, ages 10, 8 and 6.
About 6:15 p.m. on Oct. 21, five people in a silver Ford Mustang drove by a house at 4859 W. 4985 South. The car stopped about a house length away, a man stepped out of the vehicle and fired a shotgun toward the victim, according to court records.
Police originally reported they believed the 17-year-old was the shooter.
The intended victim and his family ran inside. As the car drove by, they heard three more shots, according to the charges.
An officer who happened to be in the area spotted the Mustang speeding away and pulled it over. Inside the vehicle, a shotgun hidden under a hoodie and empty shell casings were found, the charges state.
Each of the suspects declined having knowledge about the shooting. One person told investigators "it wouldn't look good on the streets to tell on his brother and that snitches get shot up," court records state.
A possible motive for the shooting was not revealed in charging documents. But police said the five people arrested have known gang ties.
A 16-year-old girl was also arrested and booked into juvenile detention for the incident. A 19-year-old woman was also arrested in connection with the drive-by shooting, but as of Tuesday had not been charged.
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 17
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13