Two adults and one juvenile charged in Kearns drive-by shooting
KEARNS — Two adults and one juvenile each have been charged with six counts of attempted homicide in connection with a drive-by shooting last week.
Michael Bonilla, 17, Guillermo Bonilla, 20 and Alberto Chavez, 19, each were charged Monday with six counts of attempted murder with gang enhancements, all first-degree felonies; four counts of felony discharge of a firearm, all second-degree felonies; and obstructing justice, a second-degree felony.
The group is accused of firing multiple rounds from a shotgun at another man who was playing football in his yard with another adult and three juveniles, ages 10, 8 and 6.
About 6:15 p.m. on Oct. 21, five people in a silver Ford Mustang drove by a house at 4859 W. 4985 South. The car stopped about a house length away, a man stepped out of the vehicle and fired a shotgun toward the victim, according to court records.
Police originally reported they believed the 17-year-old was the shooter.
The intended victim and his family ran inside. As the car drove by, they heard three more shots, according to the charges.
An officer who happened to be in the area spotted the Mustang speeding away and pulled it over. Inside the vehicle, a shotgun hidden under a hoodie and empty shell casings were found, the charges state.
Each of the suspects declined having knowledge about the shooting. One person told investigators "it wouldn't look good on the streets to tell on his brother and that snitches get shot up," court records state.
A possible motive for the shooting was not revealed in charging documents. But police said the five people arrested have known gang ties.
A 16-year-old girl was also arrested and booked into juvenile detention for the incident. A 19-year-old woman was also arrested in connection with the drive-by shooting, but as of Tuesday had not been charged.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Bus driver charged in death of 10-year-old...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Family of slain 18-year-old pleads for...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Litter left by target shooters in Hobble...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 52
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 46
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16