5 Halloween pranks that are probably covered by your insurance
- Kids run into your car. If kids are busy rifling through their candy bags and walk into your car or accidentally bang it with their heavy candy bag hard enough to leave a mark, this would be covered by collision.
- Black cat crosses your path. If you hit a cat, or any other domestic or wild animal, and it damages your vehicle, then this would be an animal strike and covered under your comprehensive coverage. However, if a black cat runs across the road, spooks you and causes you to crash into a tree, that would be covered by collision.
- Halloween decoration cause dings and dents. If an inflatable pumpkin breaks loose, rolls down the street and crashes into your car, causing a dent -- that’s a collision claim. However, if a Halloween decoration lets loose due to wild winds becomes a flying missile and falls hard on your vehicle causing damage, this would be a comprehensive claim.
If the repair costs are way over your deductible, then go ahead and make the claim. One comprehensive claim doesn’t typically raise your rates. However, if you have multiple claims -- of any type -- it can cause a rate increase; or, your car insurance company may even find you too much of a risk to renew your policy at the end of its term.
Best yet, if you have a garage, park your car inside in on Halloween where it will be safe away from malevolent ghosts and black cats.
Penny Gusner has been working in the car insurance business for more than 10 years and answering consumer questions for most of that. She has seen it all, and she researches the routine and the bizarre with equal enthusiasm.
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- 1 number you should check each year to avoid...
- The best states in America for balancing work...
- Here's a look at the 20 worst jobs of 2015...
- Is rent out of reach? Study shows how 11 US...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Hero2Hire helps veterans, spouses find...
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Exxon shareholders to vote on climate... 6
- Is rent out of reach? Study shows how... 1
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs 1
- Balancing act: Does parenting bring... 1
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget... 1
- Americans are very unsure about their... 1
- 1 number you should check each year to... 1