5 Halloween pranks that are probably covered by your insurance
- Kids run into your car. If kids are busy rifling through their candy bags and walk into your car or accidentally bang it with their heavy candy bag hard enough to leave a mark, this would be covered by collision.
- Black cat crosses your path. If you hit a cat, or any other domestic or wild animal, and it damages your vehicle, then this would be an animal strike and covered under your comprehensive coverage. However, if a black cat runs across the road, spooks you and causes you to crash into a tree, that would be covered by collision.
- Halloween decoration cause dings and dents. If an inflatable pumpkin breaks loose, rolls down the street and crashes into your car, causing a dent -- that’s a collision claim. However, if a Halloween decoration lets loose due to wild winds becomes a flying missile and falls hard on your vehicle causing damage, this would be a comprehensive claim.
If the repair costs are way over your deductible, then go ahead and make the claim. One comprehensive claim doesn’t typically raise your rates. However, if you have multiple claims -- of any type -- it can cause a rate increase; or, your car insurance company may even find you too much of a risk to renew your policy at the end of its term.
Best yet, if you have a garage, park your car inside in on Halloween where it will be safe away from malevolent ghosts and black cats.
Penny Gusner has been working in the car insurance business for more than 10 years and answering consumer questions for most of that. She has seen it all, and she researches the routine and the bizarre with equal enthusiasm.
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Why college matters more today than 20 years ago
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Don't be surprised if you find your boss...
- Kids learn the ABCs of managing money
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 17
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- How much money should you be saving... 4
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 4
- Michelle Singletary: Credit can be... 3