Ravell Call, Deseret News
KANAB — Bureau of Land Management range specialists will present a series of workshops/field trips of how science is used to monitor land health on BLM lands and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and how the collected data helps ranchers and land managers make livestock management decisions.
The workshops will explain long-term trend studies, study site selection and setup, how photo points are used, how data is collected and recorded, and plant identification.
“You don’t have to be a scientist, or a rancher, or a land manager to learn something from these workshops. Our range specialists are very excited about the work they do and are really looking forward to sharing what they’ve learned with the public,” said Richard Madril, assistant monument manager for resources.
The workshops are scheduled in Escalante on Nov. 7 from 1 to 3 p.m.; and Nov. 9 from 9 a.m. to noon. Participants are asked to arrive at the Escalante Interagency Visitor Center, 755 W. Main, 15 minutes prior to the start of the field trip.
Workshops also will be conducted in Kanab on Nov. 13 from 1 to 3 p.m.; and on Nov. 16 from 9 a.m. to noon. Participants are asked to meet at the Kanab BLM Visitor Center, 745 E. U.S. 89.
Attendees must provide their own transportation from the visitors centers to the monitoring sites. Also, attendees should bring water and snacks.
The workshops are free and open to the public. If you have any questions, please call Richard Madril at 435-644-1245.
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 89
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 31
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 18
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16