Tanner Humanities Center, University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Best-selling author and journalist Andrew Solomon will give the 2013 Tanner Lecture on Human Values titled, “Love, Acceptance, Celebration: How Parents Make Their Children,” at the University of Utah.
The event is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 4, 7 p.m. in the Olpin Union Ballroom. It is sponsored by the Tanner Humanities Center.
Solomon will offer a perspective about meaning drawn from adversity and the functions it serves. The lecture will draw on his life’s work for insight, speaking about his time in the Soviet Union in the late 1980s, his experience in depression and his work with families of extraordinary children. The event is free and open to the public.
“Andrew is a gifted observer of the struggles and triumphs experienced by modern families,” said Bob Goldberg, director of the Tanner Humanities Center. “His voice provides an insightful perspective on key social and psychological complexities of the human condition.”
Solomon is a regular contributor to NPR, the New York Times and many other publications. He is currently a lecturer in psychiatry at Weill-Cornell Medical College and is an activist and philanthropist for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights; mental health; education; and the arts.
He is the author of several books, including “The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression,” which won the 2001 National Book Award for Nonfiction and was a finalist for the 2002 Pulitzer Prize. His latest book, “Far From the Tree: Parents, Children and the Search for Identity,” was a New York Times best-seller.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16