Arissa Moore, University Journal
SALT LAKE CITY — Windy weather blowing ahead of a low pressure system caused problems across the state Monday.
In Cedar City, at least 10 trees were reportedly blown over at Southern Utah University, including a 60-foot-tall pine tree that fell onto the South Hall and caused some building damage, the university reported on social media. Wind gusts reaching 71 mph were recorded at the Cedar City airport.
The winds also damaged power lines in Cedar City, briefly turning out the lights for an estimated 769 Rocky Mountain Power customers Monday afternoon.
In Summit County, the winds tipped over a canoe on Rockport Reservoir, dumping a father and his 14-year-old son into the water. The two made it safely to shore.
Gusts of 72 mph were recorded in Deer Valley, while winds reached 66 mph at Promontory Point and passed 50 mph in the Salt Lake and Tooele valleys.
The low pressure system will bring rain to the valleys and snow to the mountains across the state as low temperatures drop into the 30s in the next 24 hours, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank reported.
On Thursday, trick-or-treaters along the Wasatch Front can expect partly cloudy skies and highs in the 50s.
High temperatures will climb back to the 70s and the sun will return by the weekend, Eubank said.
— McKenzie Romero
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11