Dream comes true for Utah's 'short-shorts' dad following international reaction to viral photo
Once their story went viral, many news outlets and national talks shows labeled Scott Dad of the Year, but the Mackintoshes are just grateful to be spreading a positive message throughout the world.
"It's been a blessing that all of these national TV shows have focused on 'modest is hottest' and a father's love for his daughter," Becky said. "She knows that he loves her."
Since posting the picture, the Mackintoshes have received many messages from both parents and teenagers, expressing their gratitude for the uplifting story.
"Most of the comments came from parents," Becky said, "but the ones who touched us the most came from teens and a few adults referring back to when they were teens, saying, 'I wish I had a dad that loved me that much.'"
Such comments have inspired Scott and Becky to pursue their dreams of public speaking and writing a book, both opportunities presented to them after the short-shorts story went viral.
New York Times best-selling author Bridget Cook has reached out and is helping Scott and Becky write their own e-book, "My Husband Wears the Short Shorts in THIS Family." Public speaker Chad Hymas has also worked with the couple to help them prepare for in-person opportunities to share their wisdom. More information about their pursuits can be found on the Life's Short Lessons website.
"We'll share our life lessons. We don't claim to be experts, just sharing our own experiences as parents," Becky said. "We have a sense of humor, but we are also very serious. Yet you have to laugh and roll with things when you are a parent. It can be overwhelming."
While it has all come rather quickly, and as a great surprise to Scott and Becky, who just recently celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary, they know they can't pass up an opportunity to continue sharing uplifting messages.
"Sometimes I feel like, 'No, I can't do this,'" Becky said. "But then I say I can do this; the world is wanting this."
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- BYU Museum of Art honors National Park...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Book review: 3 recent books share aspects of...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 20
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1