Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — A grass-roots effort is underway in the southwest end of the Salt Lake Valley to derail the Jordan School District's efforts to encourage voters to pass a $495 million bond.
Erin Weist created the Facebook group Vote No for Jordan District Bond, saying it's just too much money.
“We are seeing schools currently that are underutilized, so we are proposing this enormous bond looking to the future when currently we are under-enrolled," Weist said. "And it seems unnecessary and excessive."
Jordan officials say the district will need eight new elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school, as well as upgrades to existing schools by 2019 to handle growth in the district.
The $495 million bond would cost the average homeowner about $300 a year and the average business about $550 a year.
“If we are going to incur this much debt, it needs to be for things that are bare bones, essential and crucial, not for building really extravagant, sort of new age schools,” Weist said. “We can kind of deal with what we have in this current economy.”
On its website, the Jordan School District outlines how the money will be spent, should the bond pass. Last week, district officials said new buildings will be "sensible, energy-efficient" and have a "75-year life span."
District officials also said the new buildings "are not lavish, rather durable and constructed to enhance the educational learning environment."
The group plans to voice its concerns at Tuesday's school board meeting.
“We have no problems giving money to education and improving things,” Weist said. “We do have a problem with it being mishandled.”
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Summit County Sheriff's Office solves...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 286
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 110
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45