Kyle Whittingham: It's apparent that chief among Utes' problems is turnovers
Full video and transcript of Utah football press conference
KW: He always does. Eric is a great alum of our football team, has been a great ambassador for our team. I’ve said very often over the years, and (he's) just a big support to our guys. He talked to the team day of the game, and at the pregame meal, or right after the pregame meal ... all our players respect and admire him for what he has done, what he’s accomplished. And like I said, he has just been a great representative of our program while he was here, and ever since he’s left.
Reporter: Any changes in philosophy on the run game, or are you still looking at the three guys?
KW: Probably under-utilized Kelvin (York) a little bit on Saturday and he’s going to get more carries. So the one thing that will happen is that Kelvin will get more than what he's been getting the last couple of weeks. He’s earned that; he’s ran physically, and in hindsight, we should have used hime more on Saturday.
Reporter: I don’t know if you’ve noticed along the lines of moving up in conferences, TCU is kind of having the same struggles. Does that surprise you?
KW: No, it doesn’t, because when you go from non-BCS to BCS, there’s a catch-up phase, and really, that's the question you asked earlier. The core of your team has got to continue to improve, and I think TCU is very similar as far as their top tier of players (being) excellent. ... What are they, 3-5? And they’re struggling in the Big 12 right now, but Gary Patterson will get that right eventually. He's a heck of a coach, and they're just going through some of the same growing pains that we are. In my estimation, you have to ask him for specifics.
Reporter: How much of a difference is it making having your two star tights end, or the tight ends you'd gone through camp with, not having them on the field and what of things do you do in compensation for that or can you do moving forward?
KW: Well, it’s been a huge departure from what, like I said, we planned all spring and fall around those guys in a lot of ways, in the utilization of their skills. And Jake Murphy was having a very good year prior to going down and Westlee (Tonga) hadn’t done as much as we wished he would have, but (it's) not his fault. We just needed to get him more involved. And so we had a complete change in personnel groupings when we lost those guys, but that’s the nature of the deal. I mean everybody in the country’s down a certain amount of guys, and you've got to adjust and respond and be able to move forward. But it was certainly something that impacted us.
Okay, thanks guys.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- High school wrestling: Pleasant Grove dynasty...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 56
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 54
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39