Apple harvest season means it's time for this sweet caramel sauce
It’s hunting season, and at my house that means my husband ventures out into the chilly weather and hikes up the hills and I bundle up and complain when I have to step outside to get the mail. We are very different when it comes to this time of year. He loves the coming of winter and I dread it.
However, the one thing we both agree on and love about the crisp autumn season is the harvest and all the different foods that go with it.
One of my favorites is my caramel applesauce. It is so easy to make and yet it gives such a wonderful addition to so many different dishes. Pork chops or oatmeal, either is enhanced with this sweet and tasty sauce. And if you want to make a bunch, the applesauce is great for canning, then you can enjoy it all year long.
Belle’s Caramel Applesauce
4-5 large apples, peeled and cored
½ cup water
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
In a large saucepan, bring apples and water to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook until apples are tender and easy to break up. Remove from heat and mash apples with a potato masher in the pan. Return to heat and add the remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
If you plan to can your applesauce, put it in sterilized jars and place lids and seals. Water bath for 15-20 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the fun out...
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom dance to...
- 4 ways to guarantee your kids will have a...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 87
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the... 43
- Behind the rapid shift in public... 26
- In our opinion: Declaration of... 11
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 8
- LDS musician Alex Boyé thrills... 5
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom... 4