Apple harvest season means it's time for this sweet caramel sauce
It’s hunting season, and at my house that means my husband ventures out into the chilly weather and hikes up the hills and I bundle up and complain when I have to step outside to get the mail. We are very different when it comes to this time of year. He loves the coming of winter and I dread it.
However, the one thing we both agree on and love about the crisp autumn season is the harvest and all the different foods that go with it.
One of my favorites is my caramel applesauce. It is so easy to make and yet it gives such a wonderful addition to so many different dishes. Pork chops or oatmeal, either is enhanced with this sweet and tasty sauce. And if you want to make a bunch, the applesauce is great for canning, then you can enjoy it all year long.
Belle’s Caramel Applesauce
4-5 large apples, peeled and cored
½ cup water
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
In a large saucepan, bring apples and water to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook until apples are tender and easy to break up. Remove from heat and mash apples with a potato masher in the pan. Return to heat and add the remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
If you plan to can your applesauce, put it in sterilized jars and place lids and seals. Water bath for 15-20 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- The lone, rough road of single motherhood...
- Mormon grandma from Alpine appears on Food...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- Family of severely injured BYU student shares...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 27
- Birth father rights the focus of two... 21
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7
- Doug Robinson: Utah man discovers... 6
- ‘Frozen’ makes history two... 4
- Alzheimer's buddy program pairs... 3