Real Salt Lake: RSL will open MLS Cup playoffs against the Galaxy
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — Real Salt Lake and the L.A. Galaxy are set to renew their playoff rivalry.
With RSL locked into the West No. 2 seed after Saturday’s results, the Galaxy officially clinched the No. 3 seed by earning a 0-0 draw against Seattle on Sunday night.
The first leg of the total-goals series will be played at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., likely on Sunday, Nov. 3, with the return leg being played at Rio Tinto Stadium on either Wednesday, Nov. 6 or Thursday, Nov. 7.
Los Angeles won two of three meetings with RSL this season, winning 2-0 in Utah on April 27 and then 4-2 at home on Aug. 17. Real Salt Lake’s lone victory was a 3-1 win at home on June 8.
This will be the third playoff meeting between the clubs in the past five years, but the first two-game series. Real Salt Lake beat Los Angeles in a shootout in the MLS Cup final in 2009, but two years later the Galaxy returned the favor with a victory in a one-game Western Conference final.
Los Angeles went on to win that MLS Cup title in 2011, and then won it again last year. It heads into the 2013 playoffs with a 2-1-3 record over its past six matches.
RSL, meanwhile, owns a 2-2-2 record in its past six league games.
The other half of the Western Conference playoff bracket features No. 4 seed Seattle and No. 5 seed Colorado squaring off Wednesday in a one-game playoff, with the winner meeting No. 1 seed Portland in the conference semifinals.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 54
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 53
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48