Real Salt Lake: RSL will open MLS Cup playoffs against the Galaxy
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — Real Salt Lake and the L.A. Galaxy are set to renew their playoff rivalry.
With RSL locked into the West No. 2 seed after Saturday’s results, the Galaxy officially clinched the No. 3 seed by earning a 0-0 draw against Seattle on Sunday night.
The first leg of the total-goals series will be played at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., likely on Sunday, Nov. 3, with the return leg being played at Rio Tinto Stadium on either Wednesday, Nov. 6 or Thursday, Nov. 7.
Los Angeles won two of three meetings with RSL this season, winning 2-0 in Utah on April 27 and then 4-2 at home on Aug. 17. Real Salt Lake’s lone victory was a 3-1 win at home on June 8.
This will be the third playoff meeting between the clubs in the past five years, but the first two-game series. Real Salt Lake beat Los Angeles in a shootout in the MLS Cup final in 2009, but two years later the Galaxy returned the favor with a victory in a one-game Western Conference final.
Los Angeles went on to win that MLS Cup title in 2011, and then won it again last year. It heads into the 2013 playoffs with a 2-1-3 record over its past six matches.
RSL, meanwhile, owns a 2-2-2 record in its past six league games.
The other half of the Western Conference playoff bracket features No. 4 seed Seattle and No. 5 seed Colorado squaring off Wednesday in a one-game playoff, with the winner meeting No. 1 seed Portland in the conference semifinals.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23