Utahns Steven Holcomb, Chris Fogt among 14 named to U.S. bobsled team
Rick Bowmer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
PARK CITY — The U.S. bobsled team was named Sunday morning after intense team time trials at Utah Olympic Park.
"This is the most impressive team we've ever had going into an Olympic year," said men's bobsled head coach Brian Shimer. "Selecting this pool of athletes was probably one of the hardest decisions we've had to make as a committee. It's exciting as a coach to have this kind of depth on the team, but bittersweet because I know we're not taking a handful of athletes that are very capable of producing results."
Steven Holcomb (Park City, Utah) received a bye on to the team for his four-man bobsled world championship bronze medal performance last season and will pilot USA-1. Army soldier-athlete Nick Cunningham (Monterey, Calif.) solidified his spot on the team after finishing second to Holcomb in all four selection races and has been allocated to USA-2, while Cory Butner (Yucaipa, Calif.) will pilot USA-3.
The 11 men's bobsled push athletes named to the national team include the following, listed in alphabetical order: 2010 Olympian Chuck Berkeley (Walnut Creek, Calif.), 2013 Athletes' Choice award recipient Adam Clark (Owenton, Ky.), second-year athlete Andreas Drbal (Belmont, Calif.), 2010 Olympian and reigning national push champion Chris Fogt (Alpine, Utah), former Cornell University lacrosse standout Chris Langton (Melrose, Mass.), 2010 Olympian and 2013 World Champion Steve Langton (Melrose, Mass.), Swiss track start-record holder Abe Morlu (Phoenix, Ariz.), 2010 Olympic champion Justin Olsen (San Antonio, Texas), fourth-year veteran Johnny Quinn (McKinney, Texas), former track and field competitor Dallas Robinson (Georgetown, Ky.), and 2010 Olympic champion Curt Tomasevicz (Shelby, Neb.).
The national team will race in eight World Cup events starting the week of Nov. 24 in Calgary, Canada, before culminating in Sochi, Russia, for the Winter Olympic Games.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28