Utahns Steven Holcomb, Chris Fogt among 14 named to U.S. bobsled team
Rick Bowmer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
PARK CITY — The U.S. bobsled team was named Sunday morning after intense team time trials at Utah Olympic Park.
"This is the most impressive team we've ever had going into an Olympic year," said men's bobsled head coach Brian Shimer. "Selecting this pool of athletes was probably one of the hardest decisions we've had to make as a committee. It's exciting as a coach to have this kind of depth on the team, but bittersweet because I know we're not taking a handful of athletes that are very capable of producing results."
Steven Holcomb (Park City, Utah) received a bye on to the team for his four-man bobsled world championship bronze medal performance last season and will pilot USA-1. Army soldier-athlete Nick Cunningham (Monterey, Calif.) solidified his spot on the team after finishing second to Holcomb in all four selection races and has been allocated to USA-2, while Cory Butner (Yucaipa, Calif.) will pilot USA-3.
The 11 men's bobsled push athletes named to the national team include the following, listed in alphabetical order: 2010 Olympian Chuck Berkeley (Walnut Creek, Calif.), 2013 Athletes' Choice award recipient Adam Clark (Owenton, Ky.), second-year athlete Andreas Drbal (Belmont, Calif.), 2010 Olympian and reigning national push champion Chris Fogt (Alpine, Utah), former Cornell University lacrosse standout Chris Langton (Melrose, Mass.), 2010 Olympian and 2013 World Champion Steve Langton (Melrose, Mass.), Swiss track start-record holder Abe Morlu (Phoenix, Ariz.), 2010 Olympic champion Justin Olsen (San Antonio, Texas), fourth-year veteran Johnny Quinn (McKinney, Texas), former track and field competitor Dallas Robinson (Georgetown, Ky.), and 2010 Olympic champion Curt Tomasevicz (Shelby, Neb.).
The national team will race in eight World Cup events starting the week of Nov. 24 in Calgary, Canada, before culminating in Sochi, Russia, for the Winter Olympic Games.
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26