Draper brothers make a difference, gain new life perspective in Kenya
Reid Anderson said life is simple in East Africa. The people there care about their cattle, their family and their god. They don’t have much, but for them “maisha ni tamu” — Swahili for “life is sweet.”
Each brother said he came away from the experience with a greater appreciation for what he has and an increased desire to serve.
“These kids, for lunch, they would all share the same cup out of the same bucket of water,” Brian Anderson said. “I really wish I was capable of helping on a larger scale and having more funding so that we can do bigger projects, maybe a water project to get fresh, clean water into their village so they don’t have to truck it in.”
Brian Anderson said he’s set new goals with his adjusted perspective. He wants to take advantage of his education and be successful enough in a career so he can do similar projects in his community and around the world.
“There’s always going to be heartache out there, but we can choose to focus on the positive stories,” Reid Anderson said. “They really have very little, and they’re more happy and more content than any of us are. It’s very inspiring, and it’s very humbling to be over there.”
Bradford Anderson, a senior in high school, said he also was humbled and had his eyes opened during the trip.
“In the future, I want to do something like what Reid’s doing and keep going back to help people,” he said. “I can’t wait until we go again.”
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 38
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13