Utah football: Utes enter bye week on disappointing note
“The good thing is that we’re all together. We’re united and I don’t see us breaking apart,” he said. “We’re going to stick together. Our main goal is to get to a bowl game right now.”
To do so, Utah will need two wins over a season-ending schedule that in addition to the games against ASU and Oregon includes a road date at Washington State and a home finale with Colorado.
Linebacker Jared Norris said the Utes thought they would pick up their fifth win on Saturday.
“We honestly thought we were going to win this game today. There’s no doubt about it in our mind that we thought we were going to win,” he said. “But the outcome wasn’t what we planned for and there’s not much you can do. We’ve just got to keep playing.”
Like Schulz, Norris insists the Utes are unified.
“We’re all one unit. It doesn’t matter if the offense is playing bad (or) the defense is playing the bad,” Norris said. “The other one needs to make up for the other unit.”
And against USC, he noted that Utah lost the turnover margin. Senior captain Trevor Reilly had similar thoughts about the 4-0 takeaway differential.
“I think that was the big difference — that we didn’t get enough turnovers,” he said.
Norris added that the Utes are just coming up short in a couple of areas.
The offense, however, wasn’t happy about failing to score a touchdown in a game for the first time since the 2010 Las Vegas Bowl loss against Boise State.
“It’s really frustrating. I think our offense works super hard throughout the week and to not score is a huge letdown,” Wilson said. “That’s something that we’ve got to get corrected.”
Schulz also called it frustrating.
“We were all pretty juiced for this game. We were ready for it. We had a good week of preparation,” he said. “I think it just came down to a lack of execution. I think overall we know the burden is on us as an offense because we have to execute every play and I just don’t think we did that.”
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- BYU's Mendenhall, Nebraska's Riley have long...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- BYU football notebook: Experience should be...
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in season...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 74
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 58
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 32
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 25