Utah Jazz: Forward Mike Harris impressed to survive cuts
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Each of the five guys the Utah Jazz cut Saturday had their moments during the preseason.
That made Tyrone Corbin’s decision to waive Brian Cook, Scott Machado, Justin Holiday, Dominic McGuire and Lester Hudson all the harder.
But Corbin said the one survivor of the non-guaranteed contract guys deserves to be on the team.
NBA journeyman Mike Harris, a 30-year-old forward, impressed the Jazz staff even if he wasn’t as flashy as some of the waived players. Corbin listed Harris’ “big body” and habit of “working hard” as reasons why he kept him on board.
“We need somebody that’s a little bit more mobile,” Corbin said. “He fits the bill. He’s worked his butt off to be a part of what we’re doing.”
With injuries to Jeremy Evans (rotator cuff) and Marvin Williams (Achilles), the Jazz need extra bodies at forward.
Those three players and Trey Burke won’t be ready to play by Wednesday’s season-opener, according to Corbin.
“He’s a competitor. He’s played hard,” Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward said. “I think he’s made the right basketball play almost 100 percent of the time, and I think that’s what they were looking for.”
Saturday's transactions bring the Jazz's roster to the maximum of 15 players ahead of the first game against Oklahoma City.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37