Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Each of the five guys the Utah Jazz cut Saturday had their moments during the preseason.
That made Tyrone Corbin’s decision to waive Brian Cook, Scott Machado, Justin Holiday, Dominic McGuire and Lester Hudson all the harder.
But Corbin said the one survivor of the non-guaranteed contract guys deserves to be on the team.
NBA journeyman Mike Harris, a 30-year-old forward, impressed the Jazz staff even if he wasn’t as flashy as some of the waived players. Corbin listed Harris’ “big body” and habit of “working hard” as reasons why he kept him on board.
“We need somebody that’s a little bit more mobile,” Corbin said. “He fits the bill. He’s worked his butt off to be a part of what we’re doing.”
With injuries to Jeremy Evans (rotator cuff) and Marvin Williams (Achilles), the Jazz need extra bodies at forward.
Those three players and Trey Burke won’t be ready to play by Wednesday’s season-opener, according to Corbin.
“He’s a competitor. He’s played hard,” Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward said. “I think he’s made the right basketball play almost 100 percent of the time, and I think that’s what they were looking for.”
Saturday's transactions bring the Jazz's roster to the maximum of 15 players ahead of the first game against Oklahoma City.
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- High school boys basketball: Pleasant Grove...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 35
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26