Brittany Bowe wins 500 and 1,000, while Shani Davis proves he still owns the 1,000 in long track speedskating
In the men’s 500 meters, Mitch Whitmore won Saturday’s race and the title, beating out Friday’s 500-meter winner, Tucker Fredricks. Whitmore’s time in Saturday’s 500 was 34.81, while Fredricks’ time was 34.99. Third-place Brian Hansen skated it in 35.22.
Two-time Olympian Shani Davis won the men’s 1,000-meter race with a time of 1:08.29. Brian Hansen was second with a time of 1:08.58 and Joey Mantia was third with a personal best of 1:08.64.
Davis won gold in that distance at the 2006 and 2010 Olympic Games, and he owns the world record in the 1,000 and the 1,500-meter distances.
“My mind set was just to simply qualify and get through trials the best that I can and get as close as possible to some times I wrote down earlier that I would like to be a little ahead of, a little close to, a little behind, depending on how I skated,” Davis said. “I’m skating well, but there’s a lot of room for improvement. But the season is still young and the key, the main goal, is to be ready for the Olympics.”
He said he feels like he’s in a good place with the season’s first World Cup just two weeks away.
“I know I’m on the right track because I’ve got a little bit of speed and I’ve got a little bit of endurance, and I know that’s what I’m going to need,” he said. “I know I need a lot more of that, but for now, it’s a great start.”
The single distance championships and team selection continue Sunday with the 1,500 meters and team pursuits. Bowe said she'd love for the U.S. team to qualify for the games in team pursuit as it gives the athletes a chance to compete as a team in what is a very individual sport.
"To be able to share that with two, possibly three other people, would be awesome," Bowe said, "and super gratifying. It's always nice to win for yourself, but when you're winning with other people, it's a lot of fun."
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 185
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 80
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 49