Utah Jazz: Jamaal Tinsley rejoins team, while 5 players are cut
Veteran John Lucas III has taken over as the Jazz’s temporary starting point guard in Burke’s absence. Tinsley will likely begin as his backup, with versatile guard Alec Burks also getting spot duty at point guard. Shooting guard Gordon Hayward can also initiate the Jazz offense when needed.
Burke will be re-evaluated in a week and a half, but he is still expected to miss an unspecified amount of time after the splint comes off his fractured right index finger.
Corbin was complimentary of Machado and Hudson during training camp and preseason play, but they weren’t quite ready to fill the Jazz’s void at point guard.
“We need a point guard. We need a guy to organize where we are,” Corbin said. “Nothing against the guys that we’ve had here. I thought they did a good job and they worked hard for us. We needed some more experience there and to shore up the position with Trey being out and could be out longer.”
The Jazz were fortunate that a good alternative was available and hoping to move back to Utah.
“I’m comfortable with the organization,” Tinsley said. “They’ve got a great young point guard I can help. I’m just comfortable with the system.”
One of the people most excited about Tinsley’s new situation is his son. Jamaal Tinsley Sr. was with the Jamaal Tinsley Jr. back in New York just a couple of days ago when the deal was agreed upon.
“He was happy,” Tinsley said. “I was supposed to take him to school Friday. He was like, ‘Dad, don’t worry about it. You’ve got a job now.’ It was good.”
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45