Utah Jazz: Jamaal Tinsley rejoins team, while 5 players are cut
Veteran John Lucas III has taken over as the Jazz’s temporary starting point guard in Burke’s absence. Tinsley will likely begin as his backup, with versatile guard Alec Burks also getting spot duty at point guard. Shooting guard Gordon Hayward can also initiate the Jazz offense when needed.
Burke will be re-evaluated in a week and a half, but he is still expected to miss an unspecified amount of time after the splint comes off his fractured right index finger.
Corbin was complimentary of Machado and Hudson during training camp and preseason play, but they weren’t quite ready to fill the Jazz’s void at point guard.
“We need a point guard. We need a guy to organize where we are,” Corbin said. “Nothing against the guys that we’ve had here. I thought they did a good job and they worked hard for us. We needed some more experience there and to shore up the position with Trey being out and could be out longer.”
The Jazz were fortunate that a good alternative was available and hoping to move back to Utah.
“I’m comfortable with the organization,” Tinsley said. “They’ve got a great young point guard I can help. I’m just comfortable with the system.”
One of the people most excited about Tinsley’s new situation is his son. Jamaal Tinsley Sr. was with the Jamaal Tinsley Jr. back in New York just a couple of days ago when the deal was agreed upon.
“He was happy,” Tinsley said. “I was supposed to take him to school Friday. He was like, ‘Dad, don’t worry about it. You’ve got a job now.’ It was good.”
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18