Utah football: Ute offense falters in 19-3 loss to USC inside the Coliseum
Trailing 7-3, the Utes quickly turned it over once again. On the second play of the ensuing possession, Wilson had the ball jarred loose while being sacked by linebacker Jabari Ruffin. Teammate Anthony Sarao recovered it for the Trojans on the Utah 19 as time expired in the opening quarter.
Less than 90 seconds later, kicker Andre Heidari made a 35-yard field goal to make it 10-3.
Utah responded with a 13-play drive, but failed to convert on fourth-and-1 from the USC 11 when Anderson was stopped on a rush for no gain.
After forcing the Trojans to punt on the drive that followed, the Utes once again fell victim to a miscue. A Wilson pass intended for Geoffrey Norwood was intercepted by safety Leon McQuay III near midfield. With 23 seconds to go in the half, Heidari increased USC’s lead with a 38-yard field goal.
The 13-3 score, though, lacked staying power. Wilson was replaced by Schulz, who was picked off on first down by USC safety Su’a Cravens. The freshman returned it 54 yards to the Utah 9 to set up another kick by Heidari with four seconds remaining in the second quarter. He connected on a 28-yarder as time expired to close out the half.
Heidari added a 40-yard field goal in the third quarter to bump the Trojans’ comfort zone up to the game's final margin at 19-3.
USC (5-3, 2-2) prevailed despite amassing just 260 yards of total offense and 14 first downs. Utah’s defense recorded five sacks, but failed to record any takeaways.
“I don’t really think so much about our turnovers,” said defensive end Trevor Reilly, who finished with a team-high 11 tackles. “I think about our lack of causing turnovers. We didn’t do a good enough job. That could have been a difference in the game.”
Utah has a bye next week and then plays host to Arizona State on Nov. 9.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 73
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 22
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 15
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8