I was stunned to see Senator Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, say Senator Mike Lee, R-Utah, needs to "rehabilitate" himself because of the government shutdown. I have always thought Sen. Hatch was a respectable and good Senator, but now I see him for who has has really become.
He thinks Sen. Lee should have used a different approach to stop Obamacare. I assume it is the approach he has been using for decades in the Senate to pass a balanced budget amendment. Well, his approach of cultivating friendships and compromise for decades has gotten us where we are now with $17 trillion in debt and an ever expanding and intrusive government. I would bet 99.9% of Utah voters don't even know Sen. Hatch wants a balanced budget amendment.
I applaud Sen Mike Lee for taking a courageous and public stand against a destructive law and not worrying about what the Washington culture thinks of him. Sen Hatch should remove the beam in his own eye first so he can see clearly.
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Letter: A worldwide message
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- Letter: No end in sight
- In our opinion: Becky Lockhart's tributes are...
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the Union...
- A. Scott Anderson: Taking Utah into Top 10...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Obama's broadband... 36
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 34
- Letter: Not so lazy 33
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31