ANAHEIM, Calif. — It began with a win and was followed by seven straight losses. So went the 2013-14 preseason for the Utah Jazz.
The latest setback was a 111-106 decision to the Los Angeles Lakers Friday night in the Honda Center.
“It’s seven straight losses. We’ve got to learn from it. We’re not happy with it,” said Utah coach Tyrone Corbin. “I thought we made some strides in the losses. We’ve got a lot of guys out of the lineup, and that’s going to take us some time to get them back in and get acclimated.”
But the Jazz learned a lot about the guys who are playing, Corbin added, and he said that was a good thing.
Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks each finished with 18 points to lead the Jazz. Rudy Gobert added 16, along with a game-high nine rebounds.
Steve Blakes, who was a perfect 7-for-7 from the field (including five 3-point shots) topped the Lakers with a game-high 19 points.
L.A. pulled away in the third period, outscoring Utah 37-20 to break open what had been a close game. Although the Jazz managed to climb back into contention, the 88-73 deficit at the end of three quarters proved to be too much to overcome.
“I thought the guys at the end, they continued to fight all the way out,” Corbin said. “They fought their way back in it.”
Utah led 53-51 at the end of a first half featuring eight lead changes and eight ties.
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still dismissed...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Pac-12 notebook: Whittingham clarifies...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 101
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 76
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32