ANAHEIM, Calif. — It began with a win and was followed by seven straight losses. So went the 2013-14 preseason for the Utah Jazz.
The latest setback was a 111-106 decision to the Los Angeles Lakers Friday night in the Honda Center.
“It’s seven straight losses. We’ve got to learn from it. We’re not happy with it,” said Utah coach Tyrone Corbin. “I thought we made some strides in the losses. We’ve got a lot of guys out of the lineup, and that’s going to take us some time to get them back in and get acclimated.”
But the Jazz learned a lot about the guys who are playing, Corbin added, and he said that was a good thing.
Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks each finished with 18 points to lead the Jazz. Rudy Gobert added 16, along with a game-high nine rebounds.
Steve Blakes, who was a perfect 7-for-7 from the field (including five 3-point shots) topped the Lakers with a game-high 19 points.
L.A. pulled away in the third period, outscoring Utah 37-20 to break open what had been a close game. Although the Jazz managed to climb back into contention, the 88-73 deficit at the end of three quarters proved to be too much to overcome.
“I thought the guys at the end, they continued to fight all the way out,” Corbin said. “They fought their way back in it.”
Utah led 53-51 at the end of a first half featuring eight lead changes and eight ties.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 26
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25