ANAHEIM, Calif. — It began with a win and was followed by seven straight losses. So went the 2013-14 preseason for the Utah Jazz.
The latest setback was a 111-106 decision to the Los Angeles Lakers Friday night in the Honda Center.
“It’s seven straight losses. We’ve got to learn from it. We’re not happy with it,” said Utah coach Tyrone Corbin. “I thought we made some strides in the losses. We’ve got a lot of guys out of the lineup, and that’s going to take us some time to get them back in and get acclimated.”
But the Jazz learned a lot about the guys who are playing, Corbin added, and he said that was a good thing.
Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks each finished with 18 points to lead the Jazz. Rudy Gobert added 16, along with a game-high nine rebounds.
Steve Blakes, who was a perfect 7-for-7 from the field (including five 3-point shots) topped the Lakers with a game-high 19 points.
L.A. pulled away in the third period, outscoring Utah 37-20 to break open what had been a close game. Although the Jazz managed to climb back into contention, the 88-73 deficit at the end of three quarters proved to be too much to overcome.
“I thought the guys at the end, they continued to fight all the way out,” Corbin said. “They fought their way back in it.”
Utah led 53-51 at the end of a first half featuring eight lead changes and eight ties.
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20