ANAHEIM, Calif. — It began with a win and was followed by seven straight losses. So went the 2013-14 preseason for the Utah Jazz.
The latest setback was a 111-106 decision to the Los Angeles Lakers Friday night in the Honda Center.
“It’s seven straight losses. We’ve got to learn from it. We’re not happy with it,” said Utah coach Tyrone Corbin. “I thought we made some strides in the losses. We’ve got a lot of guys out of the lineup, and that’s going to take us some time to get them back in and get acclimated.”
But the Jazz learned a lot about the guys who are playing, Corbin added, and he said that was a good thing.
Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks each finished with 18 points to lead the Jazz. Rudy Gobert added 16, along with a game-high nine rebounds.
Steve Blakes, who was a perfect 7-for-7 from the field (including five 3-point shots) topped the Lakers with a game-high 19 points.
L.A. pulled away in the third period, outscoring Utah 37-20 to break open what had been a close game. Although the Jazz managed to climb back into contention, the 88-73 deficit at the end of three quarters proved to be too much to overcome.
“I thought the guys at the end, they continued to fight all the way out,” Corbin said. “They fought their way back in it.”
Utah led 53-51 at the end of a first half featuring eight lead changes and eight ties.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 32
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20