Book review: 'The Four Doors' offers pattern for meaningful life
“The Four Doors,” by Richard Paul Evans, one of his rare pieces of non-fiction, offers four ideas for living a meaningful life — based on the author’s life experiences.
Each of the four doors is explored in a section of the book: “Believe There’s a Reason You Were Born,” “Free Yourself From Limitation,” “Magnify Your Life” and “Develop a Love-Centered Map.”
In a "Why I Wrote This Book" section, Evans shares that the book had its beginning as an hourlong extemporaneous talk given to a school assembly of teens, where he spoke from his heart sharing with them “everything I wished I knew when I was their age.”
This book, the current version of that talk given more than 10 years ago, contains personal experiences from Evans’ life, anecdotes and quotes from his published works of fiction and quotes from some of his favorite authors.
“The most important story we will ever write in life is our own — not with ink, but with our choices,” writes Evans. This statement expresses the essence of the short, clean, pocket-sized book.
The prose flows well and a lot of profound ideas are shared in easy-to-read sound bytes. It would make a thoughtful gift.
Evans, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is also the author of the Walk series and the Michael Vey series for young adults and lives in Salt Lake City with his wife, Keri, and their five children.
If you go ...
What: Richard Paul Evans book signings
When: Tuesday, Oct. 29, noon
Where: Barnes and Noble, Gateway Crossing, 340 S. 500 West, West Bountiful
Note: Books to be signed at this event must be purchased at Barnes and Noble Bountiful location.
When: Tuesday, Oct. 29, 7 p.m.
Where: Barnes and Noble, Layton Market Center, 1780 N. Woodland Park Drive, Layton
When: Wednesday, Oct. 30, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, Fort Union, 1110 Fort Union Blvd., Midvale
When: Saturday, Nov. 1, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, Salt Lake Downtown, 45 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City
When: Saturday, Nov. 2, noon
When: Walmart, 625 West Telegraph St, Washington, Washington County
When: Saturday, Nov. 9, 2 p.m.
Where: Sam's Club, 11278 S. Jordan Gateway, South Jordan
Note: Sam's Club membership required for store entrance.
When: Saturday, Nov. 9, 4 p.m.
Where: Costco, 3656 Wall Ave., Ogden
Note: Costco membership required for store entrance.
Rosemarie Howard lives in a 100-year-old house on Main Street, Springville. Her website is at dramaticdimensions.com.
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately at...
- TV series ‘Newhart,’ ‘Good...
- Amish country bristles at ‘Mafia’...
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 1
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 1
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 1
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 1