Miller says this is not necessarily a problem. "Maybe someone has a conference they have to go to in Dullsville," she says. "Maybe a cousin lives there. Maybe the dates are not working out for other places."
People may have never considered to visit a particular place, but after talking with each other they might discover they have kids the same age with bikes in the garage, and it sounds like just the thing they would like to try.
"You never know why someone may want to come to your area," Tetreault says. "It could be a wedding, graduation or a family reunion. They need to travel and staying in a home is so much nicer than staying in a hotel."
And less expensive as well.
Home exchange websites:
- Home Exchange (www.HomeExchange.com)
- Love Home Swap (www.LoveHomeSwap.com)
- Intervac (intervac-homeexchange.com)
- Home Link (www.HomeLink.org)
- Home Base Holidays (www.Homebase-Hols.com)
- Knok (Knok.com)
- Home For Exchange (HomeForExchange.com)
- Sabbatical Homes (SabbaticalHomes.com)
- International Vacation Home Exchange (IVHE.com)
Dos and don'ts for home exchanges
From Ed Kushins, HomeExchange.com CEO
- Get to know the person or family you are swapping with. Talk on the phone, swap recent photos and video-chat over Skype.
- Ask for referrals about prior exchanges. This will tell you a lot about the person/family and home you are swapping with.
- Agree on the ground rules for your exchange
- Leave some local tips and eateries for the person/family who will be staying in your home.
- Exchange cell phone numbers and leave a manual on how things work in your home, when plants need to be watered, etc.
- Don't leave your home a mess or the person you're swapping with a mess. The general rule is to leave the house exactly as you found it.
- Don't leave your valuables exposed.
- Don't lead someone on and always market your property honestly.
- Don't cancel, as people have spent money on airfare. Respect your obligation.
- Don't worry! Home exchange is much easier than you think.
- The most popular jobs in America
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- How to rear money-smart kids
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we thought
- Which county in Utah has the least poverty?
- Balancing act: French ban on after-hours...
- The dangers of financially illiterate...
- What increasing rent costs mean for the urban...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 44
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we... 21
- Balancing act: French ban on... 9
- U.S. 'tax freedom day' is 3 days later... 4
- What increasing rent costs mean for the... 3
- Photo gallery: Students learn the ABCs... 2
- College football, basketball athletes... 2