Free hotels: Swapping houses means great savings for vacations
Miller says this is not necessarily a problem. "Maybe someone has a conference they have to go to in Dullsville," she says. "Maybe a cousin lives there. Maybe the dates are not working out for other places."
People may have never considered to visit a particular place, but after talking with each other they might discover they have kids the same age with bikes in the garage, and it sounds like just the thing they would like to try.
"You never know why someone may want to come to your area," Tetreault says. "It could be a wedding, graduation or a family reunion. They need to travel and staying in a home is so much nicer than staying in a hotel."
And less expensive as well.
Home exchange websites:
- Home Exchange (www.HomeExchange.com)
- Love Home Swap (www.LoveHomeSwap.com)
- Intervac (intervac-homeexchange.com)
- Home Link (www.HomeLink.org)
- Home Base Holidays (www.Homebase-Hols.com)
- Knok (Knok.com)
- Home For Exchange (HomeForExchange.com)
- Sabbatical Homes (SabbaticalHomes.com)
- International Vacation Home Exchange (IVHE.com)
Dos and don'ts for home exchanges
From Ed Kushins, HomeExchange.com CEO
- Get to know the person or family you are swapping with. Talk on the phone, swap recent photos and video-chat over Skype.
- Ask for referrals about prior exchanges. This will tell you a lot about the person/family and home you are swapping with.
- Agree on the ground rules for your exchange
- Leave some local tips and eateries for the person/family who will be staying in your home.
- Exchange cell phone numbers and leave a manual on how things work in your home, when plants need to be watered, etc.
- Don't leave your home a mess or the person you're swapping with a mess. The general rule is to leave the house exactly as you found it.
- Don't leave your valuables exposed.
- Don't lead someone on and always market your property honestly.
- Don't cancel, as people have spent money on airfare. Respect your obligation.
- Don't worry! Home exchange is much easier than you think.
- Does it really matter if you grew up rich and...
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job...
- Renovation Solutions: How to survive a home...
- Obama calls for payday loan regulations in...
- Win or lose, discrimination suit is having an...
- Under Armour looks to branded stores to...
- Embracing change: Utah County leaders examine...
- In rare deal, Boehner, Pelosi tout wins for...
- Student loan recipients go on repayment... 50
- Does it really matter if you grew up... 7
- Obama calls for payday loan regulations... 5
- Renovation Solutions: How to survive a... 2
- Dave Ramsey says: Paying kids for good... 2
- Michelle Singletary: Short-term loans... 2
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job... 1
- Political polarization is a driving... 1