Ben Brewer, Deseret News
Utah women’s basketball coach Anthony Levrets does not put too much stock into rankings and external expectations. Even the Pac-12 Conference Preseason Coaches Poll, in which his team was picked to finish seventh for the second consecutive season.
Rather, as he prepares for his fourth season at the helm, Levrets is focused on the continued growth of his team.
“Preseason polls are great things for the media and fans,” Levrets said. “We can't pay too much attention to what others think about our team and our prospects for the upcoming year. We love our group and believe this team has a chance to carry on and build on the great tradition that is Utah women's basketball.”
Under Levrets, the Utes won the 2011 Mountain West Conference Tournament championship, which led to an NCAA berth, and they have participated in the WNIT each of the last two seasons. Last spring, the Utah women played into April for the first time in team history, falling to Drexel, 46-43, in the WNIT championship game.
Returning to lead the Utes is senior Michelle Plouffe, a forward who led the team in points, averaging 17.2 per game, and rebounds, with 9.4 per game. Plouffe was named a Sporting News Preseason Third Team All-American.
Utah will open the season with an exhibition game against the University of Mary at the Huntsman Center on Nov. 1 at 5:15 p.m. The regular season will begin with a home game one week later, Nov. 8, against Denver at 8:30 p.m.
Pac-12 women’s coaches poll team (first place votes) Points 1. Stanford (11) 121; 2. California (1) 111; 3. Colorado 91; 4. Washington 85; 5. UCLA 80; 6. USC 77; 7. Utah 59; 8. Oregon State 51; 9. Washington State 50; 10. Arizona State 29; 11. Arizona 21; 12. Oregon 17.
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date with...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21