Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Alta soccer standout Bizzy Phillips is not quite done representing her school.
Neither is Maple Mountain leader Rachel Bingham.
The seniors are two of the 40 players from across the country who have been invited to participate in the first annual High School All-American Game on Dec. 7 in Cary, N.C. The event is hosted by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America and will take place on the Saturday between the NCAA semifinal and championship games.
“The honor is well-deserved,” said Alta soccer coach Lee Mitchell. “Bizzy always works very hard; she has been the catalyst for our team.”
Phillips, a three-year starter and team captain, was the second-highest scorer in 5A this season with 23 goals. She is the school’s all-time career leader in assists (60) and third-leading career scorer (58).
In 2012, the midfielder was named the Deseret News 5A MVP, an NCSAA High School All-American, and the Utah Gatorade Player of the Year. She is a 4.0 student, has been named to the UHSAA Academic All-State team, and has committed to continue her soccer career at BYU.
“You can’t ask for better than that,” Mitchell said.
Excellence runs in the family as Phillips’ older brother, Andy, is the freshman place-kicker for the University of Utah and a former U.S. Ski Team member.
Bingham has 28 career goals for the Golden Eagles, including 12 this season, and was named to the Deseret News 4A All-State Team as a junior.
In selecting the All-American Game roster, the NSCAA initially selected 120 players from around the country, a group that also included Alta senior Madie Lyons.
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- What does it take to host America's largest...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lands three-star RB commit and... 25