Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Alta soccer standout Bizzy Phillips is not quite done representing her school.
Neither is Maple Mountain leader Rachel Bingham.
The seniors are two of the 40 players from across the country who have been invited to participate in the first annual High School All-American Game on Dec. 7 in Cary, N.C. The event is hosted by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America and will take place on the Saturday between the NCAA semifinal and championship games.
“The honor is well-deserved,” said Alta soccer coach Lee Mitchell. “Bizzy always works very hard; she has been the catalyst for our team.”
Phillips, a three-year starter and team captain, was the second-highest scorer in 5A this season with 23 goals. She is the school’s all-time career leader in assists (60) and third-leading career scorer (58).
In 2012, the midfielder was named the Deseret News 5A MVP, an NCSAA High School All-American, and the Utah Gatorade Player of the Year. She is a 4.0 student, has been named to the UHSAA Academic All-State team, and has committed to continue her soccer career at BYU.
“You can’t ask for better than that,” Mitchell said.
Excellence runs in the family as Phillips’ older brother, Andy, is the freshman place-kicker for the University of Utah and a former U.S. Ski Team member.
Bingham has 28 career goals for the Golden Eagles, including 12 this season, and was named to the Deseret News 4A All-State Team as a junior.
In selecting the All-American Game roster, the NSCAA initially selected 120 players from around the country, a group that also included Alta senior Madie Lyons.
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23