"Oreo, Crayola they truly embrace the notion of listening to consumers and reacting and responding," Barker says. "They know when to talk and know how to listen."
Big auto manufacturers not so much.
Barker says the electric car company, Tesla, is an exception, however, and is on its way to be a loved brand — even though it does not spend millions on advertising. Instead, it has things like small showrooms in malls.
Trends and choices
John Z Wetmore says the trend of fewer drivers will impact community planning and success. Wetmore produces "Perils of Pedestrians," a television show that looks at walkable communities across the world, and thinks many changes are coming.
"People are a lot more interested in having transportation choices than they were a couple of decades ago," he says.
Companies are trying to attract millennials by locating in walkable urban areas, instead of fancy suburban high-tech parks, which has long been the trend.
"When people are passing each other on the sidewalk," he says, "there is serendipitous interaction that you don't have when driving by each other."
If the U.S. government's official forecasts of an increase of 44 percent to 67 percent in miles driven by 2040 is correct, that will require certain planning and infrastructure outlay. However, if Millennial driving preferences and love of urban areas, walkable neighborhoods and other factors prevail, PIRG sees a flattening or even decline in vehicle use. That future would require a shift in infrastructure spending and planning down the road.
Amber Gibson, sees car use as a matter of different priorities. If she had the money for a nice new automobile, she would stick to the Millennial trend.
"I would buy a Hermès Birkin bag instead," she says with a laugh. "I'd rather have it than a car. I'd use the bag. I wouldn't use the car."
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Which county in Utah has the least poverty?
- Balancing act: French ban on after-hours...
- How to rear money-smart kids
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we thought
- What increasing rent costs mean for the urban...
- The dangers of financially illiterate...
- Dave Ramsey says: Invest in growth stock...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 33
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we... 9
- Balancing act: French ban on... 8
- U.S. 'tax freedom day' is 3 days later... 4
- Photo gallery: Students learn the ABCs... 2
- College football, basketball athletes... 2
- City life offers better health, bigger... 1