SALT LAKE CITY — Students in most U.S. states, including Utah, scored higher in mathematics and science in 2011 than their international peers, according to a new report.
The NAEP-TIMSS Linking Study places the education and performance of U.S. students in a global context by predicting how states would fare in the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study based on their National Assessment of Educational Progress scores.
Thirty-nine countries and nine education systems participated in the 2011 international study, with results reported on a scale of one to 1,000, with an average score of 500.
According to the linking study, the math scores of 36 states, including Utah, suggest an international score higher than 500 — the global average. In science, 47 states scored higher than the global average, with Mississippi, Alabama and the District of Columbia scoring below average.
Utah scored 510 in math, placing the state ahead of 30 countries, including Norway and Sweden, and relatively on par with England and Australia.
In science, Utah scored 547, outperforming 39 international systems and 35 U.S. states, but falling below four countries — Chinese Taipei, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Singapore.
The scores also place Utah above the intermediate benchmark in both mathematics and science.
"We continue to be pleased with the progress Utah students are making in STEM subjects.” Utah State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove said in a prepared statement.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Executive action brings 'temporary relief'...
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Groups petition for gun bans from school...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 27