SALT LAKE CITY — Students in most U.S. states, including Utah, scored higher in mathematics and science in 2011 than their international peers, according to a new report.
The NAEP-TIMSS Linking Study places the education and performance of U.S. students in a global context by predicting how states would fare in the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study based on their National Assessment of Educational Progress scores.
Thirty-nine countries and nine education systems participated in the 2011 international study, with results reported on a scale of one to 1,000, with an average score of 500.
According to the linking study, the math scores of 36 states, including Utah, suggest an international score higher than 500 — the global average. In science, 47 states scored higher than the global average, with Mississippi, Alabama and the District of Columbia scoring below average.
Utah scored 510 in math, placing the state ahead of 30 countries, including Norway and Sweden, and relatively on par with England and Australia.
In science, Utah scored 547, outperforming 39 international systems and 35 U.S. states, but falling below four countries — Chinese Taipei, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Singapore.
The scores also place Utah above the intermediate benchmark in both mathematics and science.
"We continue to be pleased with the progress Utah students are making in STEM subjects.” Utah State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove said in a prepared statement.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Ex-Attorney General Mark Shurtleff pleads not...
- Sandy man beat woman, tried to put her in an...
- Mill Creek restoration project to offer new...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 57
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 50
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 38
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 28
- Father, son used LDS Church membership... 25
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- 'No more red herrings' for Medicaid... 18
- Teenage girl bullied relentlessly gets... 14