Utah Jazz: Feeding Derrick Favors, ducking Rudy Gobert
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Derrick Favors’ huge output against the Clippers on Wednesday was a hot topic in the Jazz locker room after the close loss to Los Angeles.
Point guard John Lucas III admitted it wasn’t a surprise that Utah's offense revolved around the 6-foot-10 big man, who finished with 24 points and 17 rebounds.
“Feed the horse! Feed him,” Lucas said. “Once he got it going, you keep going in there.”
The basketball diet tasted great to Favors, who was averaging less than eight points on 33.3 percent shooting through six games. He hit 10 of 17 shots Wednesday against Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
“It felt good,” Favors said, “to just break out of that slump that I was in, just get into a rhythm, play my game, just finally see shots go in that I normally make.”
LATE DUCK: Rudy Gobert had his best pro game against the Clippers, blocking five shots and snagging 12 rebounds. Of course, the 7-foot-1 center also had one of his shots blocked and, well, there was a play in which he graciously got out of Blake Griffin’s way en route to a monster slam.
The video of that play — titled “Griffin dunk, Gobert duck” at NBA.com — has made its rounds around the Internet.
Gobert smiled when asked about ducking out of Griffin’s way.
“I thought about blocking him,” the rookie said, “but when I saw him in the air, I said, ‘It’s too late.’ ”
COACH SPEAK: Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin thought Wednesday's game was the Jazz's best yet this preseason: "We’re growing. It’s just a slow process for us right now because of the guys in and out of the lineup."
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- BYU football recruit Charles West shot in arm...
- Hoffman, Collie or Doughty: Which local...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 107
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 36
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 35
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 30
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 19
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 19