Matt Gade, Deseret News
Derrick Favors’ huge output against the Clippers on Wednesday was a hot topic in the Jazz locker room after the close loss to Los Angeles.
Point guard John Lucas III admitted it wasn’t a surprise that Utah's offense revolved around the 6-foot-10 big man, who finished with 24 points and 17 rebounds.
“Feed the horse! Feed him,” Lucas said. “Once he got it going, you keep going in there.”
The basketball diet tasted great to Favors, who was averaging less than eight points on 33.3 percent shooting through six games. He hit 10 of 17 shots Wednesday against Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
“It felt good,” Favors said, “to just break out of that slump that I was in, just get into a rhythm, play my game, just finally see shots go in that I normally make.”
LATE DUCK: Rudy Gobert had his best pro game against the Clippers, blocking five shots and snagging 12 rebounds. Of course, the 7-foot-1 center also had one of his shots blocked and, well, there was a play in which he graciously got out of Blake Griffin’s way en route to a monster slam.
The video of that play — titled “Griffin dunk, Gobert duck” at NBA.com — has made its rounds around the Internet.
Gobert smiled when asked about ducking out of Griffin’s way.
“I thought about blocking him,” the rookie said, “but when I saw him in the air, I said, ‘It’s too late.’ ”
COACH SPEAK: Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin thought Wednesday's game was the Jazz's best yet this preseason: "We’re growing. It’s just a slow process for us right now because of the guys in and out of the lineup."
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 39
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 37
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27