Utah Jazz: Feeding Derrick Favors, ducking Rudy Gobert
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Derrick Favors’ huge output against the Clippers on Wednesday was a hot topic in the Jazz locker room after the close loss to Los Angeles.
Point guard John Lucas III admitted it wasn’t a surprise that Utah's offense revolved around the 6-foot-10 big man, who finished with 24 points and 17 rebounds.
“Feed the horse! Feed him,” Lucas said. “Once he got it going, you keep going in there.”
The basketball diet tasted great to Favors, who was averaging less than eight points on 33.3 percent shooting through six games. He hit 10 of 17 shots Wednesday against Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
“It felt good,” Favors said, “to just break out of that slump that I was in, just get into a rhythm, play my game, just finally see shots go in that I normally make.”
LATE DUCK: Rudy Gobert had his best pro game against the Clippers, blocking five shots and snagging 12 rebounds. Of course, the 7-foot-1 center also had one of his shots blocked and, well, there was a play in which he graciously got out of Blake Griffin’s way en route to a monster slam.
The video of that play — titled “Griffin dunk, Gobert duck” at NBA.com — has made its rounds around the Internet.
Gobert smiled when asked about ducking out of Griffin’s way.
“I thought about blocking him,” the rookie said, “but when I saw him in the air, I said, ‘It’s too late.’ ”
COACH SPEAK: Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin thought Wednesday's game was the Jazz's best yet this preseason: "We’re growing. It’s just a slow process for us right now because of the guys in and out of the lineup."
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23