Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — A 3rd District Court judge was killed in an accident while riding his bicycle Thursday afternoon in Millcreek Canyon.
Anthony B. Quinn, 60, was riding up the canyon about 1:45 p.m. when he was hit head-on by a 78-year-old driver who allegedly became distracted by looking at fall colors and drove into oncoming traffic, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Quinn was in extremely critical condition when he was transported to University Hospital, where he later died, Hoyal said. The driver, whose name was not immediately released, was from out of state.
According to his biography on the Utah state courts website, Quinn was appointed to the 3rd District Court in September 1997 by Gov. Michael Leavitt. He received his law degree from BYU in 1980, where he served as note and comment editor of the BYU Law Review. Quinn has also served as an adjunct professor at Westminster College.
Former Utah State Bar President Stephen Owens offered condolences Thursday, calling Quinn "exactly the kind of judge you want in Utah."
"My partner actually had a trial with him about eight months ago and commented that (Quinn) was firmly in command of the courtroom, made rulings but was not overbearing or arrogant in any way, was always prepared and always on top of things," Owens said. "It's really a devastating day for the bench and all of Utah."
Quinn was an avid cyclist and was seriously injured a year ago when he was hit by a car while competing in a cycling race. Owens recalled how Quinn fought to recover from the accident and return to cycling, telling a colleague, "Our sport is a dangerous one."
"That was part of his adventurous spirit," Owens said. "He was a bright mind and certainly our love goes out to his family."
Chief Justice Matthew Durrant issued a statement Thursday offering sympathy to Quinn's family.
"Judge Quinn was an outstanding judge and person whose service to the people of Utah over the past 16 years has touched countless lives. Our entire court family mourns his loss," Durrant said.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Sprinkler line floods Eastmont Middle School,...
- Pilot sentenced for groping teenage girl on...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 74
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19