Ravell Call, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah will be the keynote speaker at the 2013 Veterans Day Parade and program Monday, Nov. 11, hosted by the city and the United Veterans Council.
The parade begins at 11 a.m. at Valley Regional Park, 5100 S. 2700 West, and ends at Taylorsville City Hall, 2600 W. 5325 South. The parade grand marshal is Pearl Harbor veteran Marion Kesler. Any veterans may walk in the parade. Visit taylorsvilleut.gov for parade applications.
Following the parade, at 12:15 p.m., there will be a program at the Taylorsville Veterans Memorial on the south side of City Hall, where Matheson will speak.
In addition to the parade and program, Flags of Honor will be set up south of Taylorsville City Hall. The flags are a memorial to fallen soldiers in Utah who lost their lives in recent wars. One flag is flown for each fallen soldier.
Inside City Hall, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., the largest World War II collection in Utah will be on display. Chip Henneman, owner of the collection, first became interested in WWII memorabilia at age 5. For more than 30 years he has collected items from all branches of the armed services.
“We are honored to once again be chosen to host the Veterans Day Parade,” said Taylorsville Mayor Jerry Rechtenbach. “We appreciate veterans and their families and their many sacrifices for our freedoms.”
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12