Ravell Call, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah will be the keynote speaker at the 2013 Veterans Day Parade and program Monday, Nov. 11, hosted by the city and the United Veterans Council.
The parade begins at 11 a.m. at Valley Regional Park, 5100 S. 2700 West, and ends at Taylorsville City Hall, 2600 W. 5325 South. The parade grand marshal is Pearl Harbor veteran Marion Kesler. Any veterans may walk in the parade. Visit taylorsvilleut.gov for parade applications.
Following the parade, at 12:15 p.m., there will be a program at the Taylorsville Veterans Memorial on the south side of City Hall, where Matheson will speak.
In addition to the parade and program, Flags of Honor will be set up south of Taylorsville City Hall. The flags are a memorial to fallen soldiers in Utah who lost their lives in recent wars. One flag is flown for each fallen soldier.
Inside City Hall, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., the largest World War II collection in Utah will be on display. Chip Henneman, owner of the collection, first became interested in WWII memorabilia at age 5. For more than 30 years he has collected items from all branches of the armed services.
“We are honored to once again be chosen to host the Veterans Day Parade,” said Taylorsville Mayor Jerry Rechtenbach. “We appreciate veterans and their families and their many sacrifices for our freedoms.”
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24