Photo gallery: Layton Christian volleyball powers past Maeser Prep
LINDON — It was "Nina Night" at Maeser Preparatory Academy as Maeser's sole senior, Nina Marcello, was honored in a pre-game ceremony. The Eagles from Layton Christian Academy, however, were the ones to celebrate a victory.
"It was a good win."
That was all Tom Hubbard, Layton Christian Academy's head volleyball coach, said after the Layton Christian Eagles defeated the Maeser Lions in straight sets (25-20, 25-20, 25-17). The Eagles controlled the match from the beginning on solid serving, strong defense, and an aggressive offense.
The big hitter for Layton Christian was sophomore Felicia Marshall with a team high 18 kills along with 15 digs. LCA senior Bri Nichols directed the attack tallying 29 assists. In a balanced team effort, LCA senior Jordan Czenkus contributed three kills, five service-aces, and eight digs. Vanessa Marshall chipped in 28 digs, three kills, and four service-aces.
In Region 14, LCA improved to 5-3 while Maeser fell to 3-6. LCA next hosts Merit Academy on Thursday to finish out the regular season. Maeser Prep will travel to take on Rockwell High School.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran. EMAIL: email@example.com
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Alan...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 61
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- U. student government passes resolution... 54
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 40
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19