Photo gallery: Layton Christian volleyball powers past Maeser Prep
LINDON — It was "Nina Night" at Maeser Preparatory Academy as Maeser's sole senior, Nina Marcello, was honored in a pre-game ceremony. The Eagles from Layton Christian Academy, however, were the ones to celebrate a victory.
"It was a good win."
That was all Tom Hubbard, Layton Christian Academy's head volleyball coach, said after the Layton Christian Eagles defeated the Maeser Lions in straight sets (25-20, 25-20, 25-17). The Eagles controlled the match from the beginning on solid serving, strong defense, and an aggressive offense.
The big hitter for Layton Christian was sophomore Felicia Marshall with a team high 18 kills along with 15 digs. LCA senior Bri Nichols directed the attack tallying 29 assists. In a balanced team effort, LCA senior Jordan Czenkus contributed three kills, five service-aces, and eight digs. Vanessa Marshall chipped in 28 digs, three kills, and four service-aces.
In Region 14, LCA improved to 5-3 while Maeser fell to 3-6. LCA next hosts Merit Academy on Thursday to finish out the regular season. Maeser Prep will travel to take on Rockwell High School.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28