Photo gallery: Layton Christian volleyball powers past Maeser Prep
LINDON — It was "Nina Night" at Maeser Preparatory Academy as Maeser's sole senior, Nina Marcello, was honored in a pre-game ceremony. The Eagles from Layton Christian Academy, however, were the ones to celebrate a victory.
"It was a good win."
That was all Tom Hubbard, Layton Christian Academy's head volleyball coach, said after the Layton Christian Eagles defeated the Maeser Lions in straight sets (25-20, 25-20, 25-17). The Eagles controlled the match from the beginning on solid serving, strong defense, and an aggressive offense.
The big hitter for Layton Christian was sophomore Felicia Marshall with a team high 18 kills along with 15 digs. LCA senior Bri Nichols directed the attack tallying 29 assists. In a balanced team effort, LCA senior Jordan Czenkus contributed three kills, five service-aces, and eight digs. Vanessa Marshall chipped in 28 digs, three kills, and four service-aces.
In Region 14, LCA improved to 5-3 while Maeser fell to 3-6. LCA next hosts Merit Academy on Thursday to finish out the regular season. Maeser Prep will travel to take on Rockwell High School.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Illuminating: Utah Olympic gold medalist...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43