Photo gallery: Layton Christian volleyball powers past Maeser Prep
LINDON — It was "Nina Night" at Maeser Preparatory Academy as Maeser's sole senior, Nina Marcello, was honored in a pre-game ceremony. The Eagles from Layton Christian Academy, however, were the ones to celebrate a victory.
"It was a good win."
That was all Tom Hubbard, Layton Christian Academy's head volleyball coach, said after the Layton Christian Eagles defeated the Maeser Lions in straight sets (25-20, 25-20, 25-17). The Eagles controlled the match from the beginning on solid serving, strong defense, and an aggressive offense.
The big hitter for Layton Christian was sophomore Felicia Marshall with a team high 18 kills along with 15 digs. LCA senior Bri Nichols directed the attack tallying 29 assists. In a balanced team effort, LCA senior Jordan Czenkus contributed three kills, five service-aces, and eight digs. Vanessa Marshall chipped in 28 digs, three kills, and four service-aces.
In Region 14, LCA improved to 5-3 while Maeser fell to 3-6. LCA next hosts Merit Academy on Thursday to finish out the regular season. Maeser Prep will travel to take on Rockwell High School.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 65
- Amy Donaldson: Recent hearings on rules... 9
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0