Screenshot from wreg.com
An elementary school near Memphis, Tenn., received a wave of media attention last month when one of its teachers rejected a student's paper about God as her idol. The school has since apologized to 10-year-old Erin Shead and her mother, Erica, and has accepted the school assignment, giving it a score of 100 percent.
“Students can talk and write about God in school," said Jeremy Dys, an attorney for Liberty Institute, in a press release. "Young teachers, like Erin's, have been barraged with so much false information for so long that they are afraid that a 10-year-old student's coloring assignment might violate the First Amendment."
The original class assignment was for students to write about an idol of choice, but when Erin wrote about God, her teacher told her that was unacceptable and instructed her to choose a different person. The teacher accepted Erin’s next idol assignment about Michael Jackson.
"I just wanted every Christian to know that we have a right to be able to express ourselves," Erica Shead said to a news reporter, according to the press release. "We understand that they've taken prayer out of schools, but they cannot take God out of our children."
According to The Christian Post, Erin's teacher said she was nervous and did not know how to handle the situation.
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 144
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 13
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 11