Uncredited, Associated Press
Rihanna stirred up some controversy this week during her visit to the United Arab Emirates.
Following a photo shoot at Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, the mosque’s overseers asked Rihanna to leave for posing for photos “they considered to be at odds with the sanctity of the site,” The Huffington Post reported.
The photos, which were posted on Rihanna’s Instagram account, showed the singer in an all-black outfit “pouting and lying down in the courtyard,” according to The National, an Abu Dhabi newspaper. The statement did not specifically mention Rihanna, but it was issued following her visit and referred to a "singer."
The photos "didn’t go over well with the religious site, so much so that the singer was kicked out of the popular site before she even had a chance to enter the mosque,” USA Today reported.
After arriving at a private gate without any notification of her visit, Rihanna was asked “to proceed to the visitors' main gate and take the guided tour, according to procedure,” said a statement released by the mosque to The National.
While the mosque is open for tourists and visitors, “they ask them to do so in a way that is appropriate, and does not disrespect the religious nature of the location,” the statement said.
“She left without entering the mosque, after being asked to do so, due to the fact that she had taken some pictures that do not conform with the conditions and regulations put in place by the Centre’s management to regulate visits in a way that takes the status and sanctity of the mosque into consideration,” the statement continued.
- Returned Mormon missionaries in 2014 FBS...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of the...
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Elder Paul K. Sybrowsky dies at age 70
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the world'...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 55
- Bible, Book of Mormon make list of top... 20
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 14
- Faith groups speak out against Obama's... 13
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 13
- Elder Paul K. Sybrowsky dies at age 70 10
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7