Uncredited, Associated Press
Rihanna stirred up some controversy this week during her visit to the United Arab Emirates.
Following a photo shoot at Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, the mosque’s overseers asked Rihanna to leave for posing for photos “they considered to be at odds with the sanctity of the site,” The Huffington Post reported.
The photos, which were posted on Rihanna’s Instagram account, showed the singer in an all-black outfit “pouting and lying down in the courtyard,” according to The National, an Abu Dhabi newspaper. The statement did not specifically mention Rihanna, but it was issued following her visit and referred to a "singer."
The photos "didn’t go over well with the religious site, so much so that the singer was kicked out of the popular site before she even had a chance to enter the mosque,” USA Today reported.
After arriving at a private gate without any notification of her visit, Rihanna was asked “to proceed to the visitors' main gate and take the guided tour, according to procedure,” said a statement released by the mosque to The National.
While the mosque is open for tourists and visitors, “they ask them to do so in a way that is appropriate, and does not disrespect the religious nature of the location,” the statement said.
“She left without entering the mosque, after being asked to do so, due to the fact that she had taken some pictures that do not conform with the conditions and regulations put in place by the Centre’s management to regulate visits in a way that takes the status and sanctity of the mosque into consideration,” the statement continued.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Angel Moroni placed atop Indianapolis temple
- Defending the Faith: When the... 139
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16