Utah football: Travis Wilson vows to be ready to play on Saturday
Whittingham added that the Utes are paying attention to details, continuing to prepare the right way, staying focused and keeping a great attitude.
“All indications are that has happened,” he said.
STILL KICKING: After making the first 11 field goals he attempted in his football career, freshman Andy Phillips missed a 42-yard attempt at the end of the first half Saturday night in Tucson. Although disappointed, the snapping of the streak didn’t devastate the freshman.
“I’ve missed many in practice. It’s just part of the game,” Phillips said. “It was bound to happen some time. I just overcooked it a little bit, just got a little amped up.”
Phillips bounced back to make a 44-yarder in the fourth quarter, but missed a 40-yard attempt later in the game.
In reflecting over the weekend, Phillips said he learned so much playing at home and also learned a lot in his first away game outside the state.
“I took a lot from it and will make the appropriate adjustments moving forward,” he explained, adding his confidence that everything will be just fine.
Whittingham also predicts that Phillips will get back on track this week.
“Andy’s a tough kid, and it’s unfortunate we missed those two kicks,” Whittingham said. “But if you would have told me at the beginning of the year, he’s going to make 12 of his first 14 kicks, I think we all would have taken that, and so that’s where he is right now.”
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22