Utah football: Travis Wilson vows to be ready to play on Saturday
Whittingham added that the Utes are paying attention to details, continuing to prepare the right way, staying focused and keeping a great attitude.
“All indications are that has happened,” he said.
STILL KICKING: After making the first 11 field goals he attempted in his football career, freshman Andy Phillips missed a 42-yard attempt at the end of the first half Saturday night in Tucson. Although disappointed, the snapping of the streak didn’t devastate the freshman.
“I’ve missed many in practice. It’s just part of the game,” Phillips said. “It was bound to happen some time. I just overcooked it a little bit, just got a little amped up.”
Phillips bounced back to make a 44-yarder in the fourth quarter, but missed a 40-yard attempt later in the game.
In reflecting over the weekend, Phillips said he learned so much playing at home and also learned a lot in his first away game outside the state.
“I took a lot from it and will make the appropriate adjustments moving forward,” he explained, adding his confidence that everything will be just fine.
Whittingham also predicts that Phillips will get back on track this week.
“Andy’s a tough kid, and it’s unfortunate we missed those two kicks,” Whittingham said. “But if you would have told me at the beginning of the year, he’s going to make 12 of his first 14 kicks, I think we all would have taken that, and so that’s where he is right now.”
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 35
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29