Utah football: Travis Wilson vows to be ready to play on Saturday
Whittingham added that the Utes are paying attention to details, continuing to prepare the right way, staying focused and keeping a great attitude.
“All indications are that has happened,” he said.
STILL KICKING: After making the first 11 field goals he attempted in his football career, freshman Andy Phillips missed a 42-yard attempt at the end of the first half Saturday night in Tucson. Although disappointed, the snapping of the streak didn’t devastate the freshman.
“I’ve missed many in practice. It’s just part of the game,” Phillips said. “It was bound to happen some time. I just overcooked it a little bit, just got a little amped up.”
Phillips bounced back to make a 44-yarder in the fourth quarter, but missed a 40-yard attempt later in the game.
In reflecting over the weekend, Phillips said he learned so much playing at home and also learned a lot in his first away game outside the state.
“I took a lot from it and will make the appropriate adjustments moving forward,” he explained, adding his confidence that everything will be just fine.
Whittingham also predicts that Phillips will get back on track this week.
“Andy’s a tough kid, and it’s unfortunate we missed those two kicks,” Whittingham said. “But if you would have told me at the beginning of the year, he’s going to make 12 of his first 14 kicks, I think we all would have taken that, and so that’s where he is right now.”
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- BYU football what you may have missed: Not...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 64
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 33