So Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and other Tea Party lawmakers have been vanquished, and the national media are giddy about the the defeat of the irresponsible, hostage-taking zealots who used the so-called budget process to try to derail Obamacare. Meanwhile, our national debt has reached the size of our gross domestic product, putting us in the ranks of failing European social democracies.
We have not passed a congressional budget for several years, instead relying on continuing resolutions which make little attempt to control our profligate spending. Hardly mentioned are the tens of trillions of dollars of unfunded entitlement debt that loom over this nation with no serious proposal on the table to fund these liabilities.
If crushing the opponents of unbridled government spending marks a great victory for America, one can only wonder how bitter a defeat would be for our future.
- Charles Krauthammer: The president's foreign...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- Letter: End daylight saving time
- In our opinion: Looking upward, seeking...
- Robert Bennett: Compromise will morph into...
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration...
- Charles Krauthammer: The president's... 57
- Letter: End daylight saving time 36
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 35
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 34
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 31
- Letter: A 'dying' document 27
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in... 27
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod 21