So Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and other Tea Party lawmakers have been vanquished, and the national media are giddy about the the defeat of the irresponsible, hostage-taking zealots who used the so-called budget process to try to derail Obamacare. Meanwhile, our national debt has reached the size of our gross domestic product, putting us in the ranks of failing European social democracies.
We have not passed a congressional budget for several years, instead relying on continuing resolutions which make little attempt to control our profligate spending. Hardly mentioned are the tens of trillions of dollars of unfunded entitlement debt that loom over this nation with no serious proposal on the table to fund these liabilities.
If crushing the opponents of unbridled government spending marks a great victory for America, one can only wonder how bitter a defeat would be for our future.
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 66
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 46
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23