So Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and other Tea Party lawmakers have been vanquished, and the national media are giddy about the the defeat of the irresponsible, hostage-taking zealots who used the so-called budget process to try to derail Obamacare. Meanwhile, our national debt has reached the size of our gross domestic product, putting us in the ranks of failing European social democracies.
We have not passed a congressional budget for several years, instead relying on continuing resolutions which make little attempt to control our profligate spending. Hardly mentioned are the tens of trillions of dollars of unfunded entitlement debt that loom over this nation with no serious proposal on the table to fund these liabilities.
If crushing the opponents of unbridled government spending marks a great victory for America, one can only wonder how bitter a defeat would be for our future.
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Letter: A worldwide message
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- Letter: No end in sight
- In our opinion: Becky Lockhart's tributes are...
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the Union...
- A. Scott Anderson: Taking Utah into Top 10...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Obama's broadband... 36
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 34
- Letter: Not so lazy 33
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31