So Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and other Tea Party lawmakers have been vanquished, and the national media are giddy about the the defeat of the irresponsible, hostage-taking zealots who used the so-called budget process to try to derail Obamacare. Meanwhile, our national debt has reached the size of our gross domestic product, putting us in the ranks of failing European social democracies.
We have not passed a congressional budget for several years, instead relying on continuing resolutions which make little attempt to control our profligate spending. Hardly mentioned are the tens of trillions of dollars of unfunded entitlement debt that loom over this nation with no serious proposal on the table to fund these liabilities.
If crushing the opponents of unbridled government spending marks a great victory for America, one can only wonder how bitter a defeat would be for our future.
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence suggests...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of Catholic...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- My view: Have we crippled our kids with a...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Politicos...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Whatever happened to the...
- Letter: Good Samaritan
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a... 69
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence... 39
- George F. Will: The low depths of... 27
- Letter: Good Samaritan 22
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of... 20
- Letter: Inversion concerns 19
- My view: Keystone Pipeline not in... 17
- A. Scott Anderson: Inversions will... 16