Man arrested after driving truck up state Capitol steps
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who drove his pickup truck up the steps of the state Capitol was arrested Tuesday.
About 1:30 p.m., 36-year-old Gerald Weston Green drove up the steps on the west side of the Capitol, stopped next to the doors and went in.
Green walked through the Hall of Governors, looked in a few doors and eventually made his way to the third floor, where he began banging on the locked doors of the Utah Supreme Court.
Police said he disobeyed the commands of the Department of Public Safety telling him to surrender. Green shouted back, demanding to see the state Supreme Court.
"The suspect was noncompliant," Utah Highway Patrol Capt. Barton Blair said. "A Taser was deployed. He was wearing loose-fitting clothing, which made that Taser ineffective, and our troopers ended up going hands-on, as we say, with the individual and taking him into custody."
When Green came toward the troopers and attempted to strike them, a UHP lieutenant had to punch Green in the face to get him into custody, Blair said.
Green, whose most recent address was in Layton, was unarmed at the time of the altercation. He remained in an area hospital overnight and charges are pending, UHP reported late Tuesday.
A search of court records showed Green has no criminal history in Utah.
— Pat Reavy, Andrew Wittenberg
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- New prison site not expected to be named...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 39
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 28
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 23
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 20
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18