Man arrested after driving truck up state Capitol steps
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who drove his pickup truck up the steps of the state Capitol was arrested Tuesday.
About 1:30 p.m., 36-year-old Gerald Weston Green drove up the steps on the west side of the Capitol, stopped next to the doors and went in.
Green walked through the Hall of Governors, looked in a few doors and eventually made his way to the third floor, where he began banging on the locked doors of the Utah Supreme Court.
Police said he disobeyed the commands of the Department of Public Safety telling him to surrender. Green shouted back, demanding to see the state Supreme Court.
"The suspect was noncompliant," Utah Highway Patrol Capt. Barton Blair said. "A Taser was deployed. He was wearing loose-fitting clothing, which made that Taser ineffective, and our troopers ended up going hands-on, as we say, with the individual and taking him into custody."
When Green came toward the troopers and attempted to strike them, a UHP lieutenant had to punch Green in the face to get him into custody, Blair said.
Green, whose most recent address was in Layton, was unarmed at the time of the altercation. He remained in an area hospital overnight and charges are pending, UHP reported late Tuesday.
A search of court records showed Green has no criminal history in Utah.
— Pat Reavy, Andrew Wittenberg
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Two fires were purposely set at U. fraternity...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 26
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14