5 Halloween treats that are festive, but without all of the sugar
Halloween and sugar-loaded candy are almost synonymous. But every festive and kid-friendly treat doesn't necessarily need to be complicated or full of sweet, white stuff. Whether you need a dish for a potluck or planning a festive meal or snack, here are few ideas from Sara Wells and Kate Jones' "Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites" (Shadow Mountain, $27.99).
This is a childhood favorite and one of the most popular of our Halloween spreads. Cut crescent roll dough into thin strips and wrap around hot dogs. Bake according to roll package directions and use ketchup or mustard for eyes. Cut hot dogs in half to make them bite-sized, if desired.
Quarter apples and take a wedge out of the center of each quarter. Dip apple pieces in water with a little lemon juice to prevent browning. Use toasted slivered almonds for teeth. Eyes are optional — you can stick pretzel rods in and attach candy eyes with peanut butter.
Breadstick Bones ’n’ Blood
Use breadstick dough (store bought or homemade) and cut into strips. Use scissors to snip the ends into two pieces and roll them into bone shapes. Dip in “bloody” marinara. For extra flavor, sprinkle with garlic and Parmesan cheese.
Super kid-friendly! Cut sticks of string cheese in half to make them kid-sized. Use the smooth edge of a knife to make knuckle marks and attach slivered almonds with a dab of cream cheese for nails. Use a knife to cut off just a bit of the cheese at an angle before attaching the almond.
This is a great staple for a Halloween party spread because it pleases both kids and adults and is something with substance. Use Halloween cookie cutters to cut your bread. Fill sandwiches with peanut butter or cream cheese and orange-colored jam (such as peach or apricot) for the kids and something more sophisticated, such as your favorite chicken salad, for the grown-ups.
"Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites" is by Sara Wells and Kate Jones and was published by Shadow Mountain in 2012. Recipes and photos used with permission.
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Anything for Auni: A community rallies to...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- The Clean Cut: Modern-day good Samaritan...
- 'Studio C' makes 'Breaking Bad' scenes family...
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- New Zealand airline releases 'Hobbit' safety...
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to... 16
- Family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart 10
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Expert advice on no-spank discipline... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8
- Watch: Wheatley conference on family 7